Why did my chickens stop laying?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bigfootpcs, Jan 15, 2017.

1. bigfootpcs

bigfootpcs Just Hatched

Aug 5, 2016
    I moved about three months ago and i have 8 hens in a checken coop with nesting boxes. Every since we moved, they completely stopped laying eggs! I am giving them the high protein feed for laying hens, and scratch mixed in with it, and i keep the pine bedding in the bottom and fresh hay in the nesting boxes. I even went and bought them fake eggs as a suggestion was made on here, but they just push them out of the way and bury them. What should i do? They are only a year to two years old. Im feeding them one cup of mixed feed per chicken every day. Should i try to free range them? Any suggestions would help. I'm out of ideas. I used to get fresh eggs every day.

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    It might be they are still getting over moving l would try free ranging them how cold is it there

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Stress can play a factor in their lack of egg production. I imagine once they settled in, they'll start laying again. Chickens adjust slowly to change. Good luck and have patience.

4. bigfootpcs

bigfootpcs Just Hatched

Aug 5, 2016
    Its been in the 40's and 50's mostly. We've had a few cold days and a few warmer days, especially this last month or so. Previously it was in the 60's. But i would think that after three or four months that they would start laying again. The nesting boxes are well sealed and warm inside. I just bought a timer and some white christmas lights im going to put in to extend their daylight.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! I tend to think if they were laying and then you moved, it is a combination of decreased daylight, the move, and maybe the age of your birds. I have 23 hens and I am getting 3-4 eggs/day and have been for about a month. I think it is a combination of the factors I said above....and I know the few eggs I am getting are from my youngest hens...those who just started laying this fall. Hope yours and mine snap out of it soon! Best wishes! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

8. bigfootpcs

bigfootpcs Just Hatched

Aug 5, 2016
    six of the eight that i have are young ones. This is their first winter. The other two however are seasoned layers. been through a couple winters already and were putting out four or five eggs a day through the summer. Not sure but i started letting them out today and they did ok. Never left the immidate area. Im just a little worried about predators since we're kind of new to the area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by