why did my hens stop laying

crazy rooster34

Songster
May 28, 2016
so about 2 weeks ago my chickens started eating there eggs, i think i broke them since i put rocks, and golf balls with there eggs but the problem is every since then they quit laying i haven't found any indication that there still eating them and also i get a egg every few days but 2 egg from 25 hens really isn't a good ratio, they have access to water and food all the time and its not to hot here.anyone got a idea or recommendations for me to try i just want some breakfast from them.

Sometimes molt is really obvious, bare spots, feather's everywhere, what is known as a hard molt. Sometimes it's less obvious, and can even be missed if you don't look close, a soft molt. Birds will not lay during molt, and often stop before you are aware it's happening, reduction of numbers of eggs is often the first thing noticed. Your 10 month olds will probably not molt until next year, but exceptions do happen, I've had young ones do a partial molt on occasion. If you see pin feathers coming in anywhere on them, then it's molt. Handle gently, new feathers coming in are uncomfortable, they can be really grumpy and testy about being handled. Some will start laying once molt is complete, others may not resume laying until spring when the days start getting longer again. That can depend on age, breed, and individual birds genetics. It is hours of daylight that impacts stimulating them to lay, not temperature.
https://www.wideopenpets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-molting-chickens/

so about 2 weeks ago my chickens started eating there eggs, i think i broke them since i put rocks, and golf balls with there eggs but the problem is every since then they quit laying i haven't found any indication that there still eating them and also i get a egg every few days but 2 egg from 25 hens really isn't a good ratio, they have access to water and food all the time and its not to hot here.anyone got a idea or recommendations for me to try i just want some breakfast from them.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Do you free range?
Is your coop and run big enough for all your birds to be confined without crowding?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Oh, and...How old are your birds, in months?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-12_10-13-46.png

Most chickens when it starts cooling off in the fall molt, both eggs and feathers require a lot of protein so they stop laying as much or can have soft shelled eggs, during the molting.
Egg laying is affected by the exponentially shorter days that increase around August.
Molting can happen around this time too...tho not always at the same time.

As don't know where you are, this may or may not apply.
Most chickens when it starts cooling off in the fall molt, both eggs and feathers require a lot of protein so they stop laying as much or can have soft shelled eggs, during the molting. One way I have found that helps is keep them on the flock raiser/all flock whatever the name the brand available in your area is called with oyster shell still available on the side as it is higher protein helps them get through it faster.

How are they acting other than not laying currently, stress if they are over crowded, a predator is lurking, age, illness, reproductive issues can all cause a hen not to lay, sorry we just don't have enough info to be more certain on info to be a lot of help right now.
everyone is acting fine, most are 10 months to 2 years old, there not overcrowded as they can free range when they want and use there run as they please, i would've suspected molting but i haven't seen any signs until yesterday when 2 of my hens and my rooster started loosing feathers, i should've gave more info but i was in a rush and just needed to see what help i could get. right now the temp is always in the 80s also no predators to speak of, one of my hens i know won't lay because she's from my first flock and is almost 7 years old.

As don't know where you are, this may or may not apply.
Most chickens when it starts cooling off in the fall molt, both eggs and feathers require a lot of protein so they stop laying as much or can have soft shelled eggs, during the molting. One way I have found that helps is keep them on the flock raiser/all flock whatever the name the brand available in your area is called with oyster shell still available on the side as it is higher protein helps them get through it faster.

How are they acting other than not laying currently, stress if they are over crowded, a predator is lurking, age, illness, reproductive issues can all cause a hen not to lay, sorry we just don't have enough info to be more certain on info to be a lot of help right now.

Egg laying is affected by the exponentially shorter days that increase around August.
Molting can happen around this time too...tho not always at the same time.
yeah , Thankfully my flock seems to split it when they molt. have do theres then the other half do, guess I should be thankful for that

Back
Top Bottom