Why did my pullet die?

Soot the silkie

Songster
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Humboldt, California
Yesterday evening, my pullet looked just fine, was flying about and eating and drinking. When I went out at eleven at night because I had forgotten to put their feeder in the coop, she looked at me from the roost. But in the morning she was lying on the ground, stiff and cold. My two hens and two pullet's were fine. Why did she suddenly die? I did catch her eating a leaf of a night shade plat the day before but would that be enough to kill her? My other two pullet's ate some as well and they are perfectly fine. She'd been laying perfect eggs everyday before, and she seemed perfectly healthy other than being slightly thin. What killed her, and will it kill my other birds?

I'm really sorry to hear that.

Sometimes birds just die for seemingly no reason, perhaps it was a heart attack. She could have run into a wall and broken her neck. She may have been weakened by sometimes like parasites and so the night shade effected her more then it did the others.

I hope the others stay healthy and strong. Best of luck!

I'm really sorry to hear that.

Sometimes birds just die for seemingly no reason, perhaps it was a heart attack. She could have run into a wall and broken her neck. She may have been weakened by sometimes like parasites and so the night shade effected her more then it did the others.

I hope the others stay healthy and strong. Best of luck!

Ok, thank you! Her neck wasn't broken I am pretty sure. I do suspect parasites since they are free range so I will start giving them something for worms. Hopefully it's an isolated incident like a heart attack.

Back
Top Bottom