why did my rooster stop crowing and when will hen lay eggs?

Hot wing gal

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 5, 2012
Hi I am new to having chickens. My daughter brought two home from school when they were chicks. We had them in a large dog creat for 4 months. I have 1 rooster and 1 hen. At 4 months my rooster started to crow, I was so excited. Every morning at 7am he would start and it would last a half hour!! Well last week we finally bought them a chicken coop with a run on it. Ever since I put them in there my rooster stopped crowing. He seems happy, eats well,looks healthy. Why did he stop? Also my chickens are about 5 months old, when will my hen start to lay eggs? Thank you for reading this HUGS

Welcome to BYC.
At 20 weeks she is old enough to lay, but just may not be ready. The move to the new coop may delay the start of her laying, till she gets comfortable. That may also be why the cockerel stopped. Unusual for them to stop completely with a change, but everyone is different.

Thank you so very much for the warm welcome. I kinda thought it was the change of coops but it's been a week so I wasn't sure. Only time will tell. ty HUGS

Back
Top Bottom