Why did she lay a very small egg today?

My english game bird/japanese bantam hen mix laid one of those before! creeped me out cuz mine had a yolk too and it was half the size of a green grape!

Heres the pretty lady herself
well she's very pretty indeed,
The size of these eggs is incredible especially the ones with yolks, makes me wonder what would happen if i put one in the 'bator.

Perhaps you would get a miniature chick! You should try it.

I appreciated this thread because in August, we had a little egg, too. I had just wormed them so thought perhaps this was some kind of reaction to the medicine. Could this have been a reason for a tiny egg?

Is there anyway to tell, with 10 hens, who is laying which egg? We get 3-7 eggs/day and am wondering if any of them aren't laying at all. . . they're all around 3 years old, getting a little colder here, but not that cold, 12hrs or more of darkness.

I've heard those called "fart eggs" on here somewhere! Out of the hundreds of eggs my chickens have laid, we have only gotten one like that.

once in a while my chicken lays a double yolk egg that is so long that it does not fit in the egg crate. does that ever happen to anyone else out there?

once in a while my chicken lays a double yolk egg that is so long that it does not fit in the egg crate. does that ever happen to anyone else out there?
A few weeks back, we got an egg that was THE biggest one I've ever seen, so I measured it: 6 7/8 inches around the center, and 4 1/4 from top to bottom: see post 1073 of "What Did Your Chickens Do Today". Haven't had another since!

Here are a few threads you might like to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/317375/my-largest-egg-ever-4-yolks-post-31
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/406583/the-largest-egg-ive-ever-seen-triple-yolk
Just type in "largest egg" in the "Chicken Behaviors and Egg Laying" forum and you'll get a bunch more. "The Incredible, Edible Egg"! lol

Also find the soft shells in the pooboard - more often this past month - I thinks there's been about 5 or 6. Sometimes they're still intact and sometimes they're broken. Two regular hardened eggs, too; guess they couldn't wait until morning.

Back
Top Bottom