Why did the chicken cross the road? Because I'm trying this again!

Gonzo the Great

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
Sugar Land, TX
Ok, short backstory: I tried my hand at some outlaw backyard chickens a few years back. 8 birds I picked up from someone selling locally on craigslist (big mistake #1). They were a few weeks old and I kept them in a dog crate until I could get my coop built. The coop was a pretty good sized box/tractor. 10X4X6. I would let these birds free range during the day and they would return by night. Everything was on track until... one of the supposed hens began to crow. Then another. Then another. Out of the 8 birds, only two RIRs were hens. The other BRs were all cockerels. The next thing I know, I get a letter from the HOA. That was it. I took the hens to my cousin's place where they already have a few hens, and the rest of the cockerels when to a processor. There is an asian poultry factory smack dab in the middle of west houston that will process birds for $3/each. So I load up my boys in a box and hand them over. As I stood in line waiting with other customers, I watched their gnarlty scrawny birds they picked from the yard come out in little small bags. When my birds came out, everyone looked at me and asked where did those birds come from? I said, my backyard. The birds are all gone, the coop was sold off and the backyard might be less covered in excrement, but the bugs and the weeds are back and it's definitely quieter. A bittersweet end of my first foray.

Fast forward to Feb 18 2013. My son, who is 9, and I both agreed, if we are going to try this again, we are going to do it right. We pick up 7 weekolds at a local feed store in Richmond, TX. We get three RIR, two leghorn, and two BRs. One of the BR's is dead by the end of the week. One of the leghorn's doesn't look good - head bobbing downwards, eyes drowsy, wing tips pointed downward. It eats and drinks and it's poop isnt watery or bloody. If anyone has any suggestions, please point me to the right thread. I've already looked.

So now the fuzzy butts are showing small tail feathers. It is about week 3 of their life, I am guessing. They are eating medicated feed, and water with some apple cider vinegar in it. I occasionally throw in some young weeds and they peck and chase each other hilariously. So far, so good. I will post pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom