Why did the rooster not save his hen?

I have 2 roosters with 6 girls. They usually split up into two groups. The rooster who is 5.5months old usually hangs with 4 girls, and the other who is an Amerciana hangs with 2. There is this one chicken who was my pet, she would always run up to me and have me pet her. She was also ALWAYS with this americana rooster, all the time. They were bf and gf. The americana rooster is 5 months old. The older rooster has been acting like a rooster for over a month now. He crocks, walks like a rooster, and stands on one leg and looks around. He also recently started trying to get with the girls. The americana rooster doesn't act like a rooster though, I know for a fact he is a rooster. Today, the niehgbors dashound got into the yard and murdered my pet chicken, the only chicken I cared for. The americana rooster wasn't too far from the crime scene, and the other hen who hangs with them was freaking out inside the chicken coop. Why didn't he do anything to protect her? What's the point in having a rooster then? They're suppose to sacfrice their life to their girls.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off,he is way too young to be with those ladies.He can't protect warn them.

As for him not saving her because,they don't "sacrifice" a life.Roosters warn them.Roosters don't really fight predators ETC.
The point of having him is fora warning sign.Somethings close,a hawks hunting us....

Also,he knows nothing about defending,nor warning.
He's there to mate,and until about 2 years,that's all he is there for.

I have 2 roosters with 6 girls. They usually split up into two groups. The rooster who is 5.5months old usually hangs with 4 girls, and the other who is an Amerciana hangs with 2. There is this one chicken who was my pet, she would always run up to me and have me pet her. She was also ALWAYS with this americana rooster, all the time. They were bf and gf. The americana rooster is 5 months old. The older rooster has been acting like a rooster for over a month now. He crocks, walks like a rooster, and stands on one leg and looks around. He also recently started trying to get with the girls. The americana rooster doesn't act like a rooster though, I know for a fact he is a rooster. Today, the niehgbors dashound got into the yard and murdered my pet chicken, the only chicken I cared for. The americana rooster wasn't too far from the crime scene, and the other hen who hangs with them was freaking out inside the chicken coop. Why didn't he do anything to protect her? What's the point in having a rooster then? They're suppose to sacfrice their life to their girls.
I agree with PRFan on this one. A mature rooster is more likely to warn a flock of predators, but they don't always "sacrifice" themselves for the flock. Sometimes they will try to fight off a predator and end up dying in the process, but that does not always happen.

They need to be about a year old to be much good. They are quite a bit taller than the hens by then, and much more alert. I have had pretty good daytime predator control, but some roosters are better than others, and none are good with a dog, coyote or a fox.

And the predator ALWAYS gets your favorite! ugh!
barnie.gif

MRs K

Last edited:
I'd have a talk with your neighbors about their dog. Even if you've had an unspoken agreement that it's okay for their dog to come visit your yard (since it sounds like your chicken adventures are less than a year), it's time to speak up about it now. Even out in the country where we live, with several neighbors with dogs (including us), it's agreed it's not okay for dogs to just show up.

It would hurt to be proactive and boost your fence/perimeter security to reduce the possibility, but also expressing to your neighbors about how you feel about their dog coming into your yard.

I'd have a talk with your neighbors about their dog. Even if you've had an unspoken agreement that it's okay for their dog to come visit your yard (since it sounds like your chicken adventures are less than a year), it's time to speak up about it now. Even out in the country where we live, with several neighbors with dogs (including us), it's agreed it's not okay for dogs to just show up.

It would hurt to be proactive and boost your fence/perimeter security to reduce the possibility, but also expressing to your neighbors about how you feel about their dog coming into your yard.

X 2 -- time to address this from all angles since, as explained above, the rooster can't fairly be expected to do what you envisioned him doing in this situation. Even if he did make an attempt to "save" the hen it would most likely have been at the expense of his own life, either way, you lose a bird -- not really a desirable outcome and one that can be addressed in other ways.

A 5 month old rooster is only a teenager! He could possibly fertilise eggs but only if the hens are laying and allow him, sounds like he's the beta rooster in the flock too so he's unlikely to step up as protector

Back
Top Bottom