1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why did this happen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henzen13, Mar 15, 2016.

1. henzen13

henzen13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2016
    Sandpoint, Idaho
    Hello! I am new to this site and a new chicken mum. Recently a couple of my hens have been exhibiting broody behavior, I have one sitting on a clutch of eggs as I write this, but I have recently found these little eggs out in the run. Why is this happening? Is it normal for them to lay these little yolk-less eggs?[​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, it happens from time to time and shouldn't of concern.

1 person likes this.
  3. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    young, new layers will lay the occasional "wonky" egg, really small, or no shell, or funny shape... as will older hens who are resuming after a Winter break. nothing to worry about... it's usually just a hiccup during the time when they are getting their cycles in shape... we call it "getting their plumbing in order"

4. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    What the others have said. Two years ago we got a 3 yolk egg from one of the hens. It is always interesting the first few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by