Why did you start raising chicken?

I got mine for eggs and fertilizer..... then, found out they would become pets. Once I had a few I was shocked at how fun they are. I love how hard some of them work my yard for bugs. Sugar, my white EE'r kicks up the soil vigorously and is a great hunter of bugs.
I have almost a 1/2 acre city lot and my girls and rabbits have a 10'x45' run. the rabbits are in hanging cages and the rabbits have free run under them and love to dig up the rabbit poo. When I am home I let them out quite often and let them free range the back yard for anywhere from 2-8 hrs per day. I would say those egg layers are some pretty lucky chickens. And they have 4 dogs to keep an eye on them.
The combo of hot chicken poo and cold rabbit poo seems to be a good combo for my compost.
My friends used to think we were crazy hanging out with them. Now, they call and say they need some relaxation and want to hang with the chickens. It is just to fun!

the lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 6 meat rabbits, thier kits and a lizard

When we left Rio Rancho NM, and moved to TX, we knew we would live in the country and I would have chickens-particularly when I learned they are less work than Cats, which we have 3. Not as cheap as cats, but just as spoiled.

Last year I finally built my first tractor, and bought a dozen chicks. NOISY tiny things, but once they were fully feathered and moved outside they are less work than cats, even including cleaning the coop. I can go an average of 2 months between sweeping and replacing litter, and I have 2 cubic yards of rich finished compost from that first 6 months of chickens. DH scoops the cat poop nearly daily and it can't be composted, such a waste.

I expect to get my next and last order of chicks around the 7th of Oct. Bought 6 NN babies from Attwoods, such sweet, mellow birds despite the vulture look. They are the first chickens my husband selected. The big order will bring the number of birds up to 4 dozen, and yes I am building 3 more tractors, a bachelors dorm and maternity ward by spring. I plan on breeding and working with 4 primary breeds and enjoy the mutts as layers and meaties.

I think this will keep me occupied for the next few years.

I have been facinated with farm animals every since I can remember. My dad took me to the feedstore when I was 10 and bought me 6 RIR and 6 Barred Rocks. I have been hooked on all poultry ever since. I would like to say that I raise them now for their utility value of meat and eggs but to be honest, about half of my flock are ornamental breeds. They don't lay for crap but they sure are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom