1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do all my hens go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by randomchick, Sep 3, 2009.

1. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    I am having a bit of a problem in that my chickens seem to love going broody. I know this may not sound like a problem to most, but I only have 6 laying hens, (lots of little ones not yet laying) and from the 6 I have had 3 go broody on me, all summer. The 3 have hatched out 7 clutches this summer, and I have 2 hens sitting on the same clutch right now (only because I refused to one of them sit on her own so she joined the other hen).

So the question is, how can I influence my girls to stop mothering their babies?
    I have already tried taking away eggs but then they seem to stop laying and run from nest to nest when the others lay, for weeks.

Any suggestions?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

All I can think of is get a different breed. [​IMG]

3. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Its in the breed of chickens some are prone to go broody. Some almost never set. Leghorns, most RIRs, Sex-Links are layers that wont go broody often (if at all).A lot af bantams,Orpingtons,Games,Cochins, and Austrulorps often go roody. Most standard chickens that lay white eggs wont hardly ever brood. Welcome to the BYC!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I second this, I've never had any luck getting my hens to break their broodiness. There are some breeds that are supposed to be non-broody, maybe you should go with one of those?

5. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah new breed... TRADE ME! I want broodies so bad. Although i'm in Colorado.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:If you want broodies so bad, I've got a bunch of bantam eggs here that need a new home. I haven't gotten more than 2-3 eggs a day all summer for all my broodies! And I have at least 15 hens!!

7. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

ah see i don't have a bator. Talked my DH into letting the chickens do the work but after i got my 1st round of chicks from the mail he doesn't want them in the house again. [​IMG] So to keep peace the broody is how I get to go.
    Don't need us to be [​IMG] [​IMG] so broody it is.

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:You are a lucky person. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Mine are always broody too. I have chickies everywhere. [​IMG] Too bad I'm selling them. I can't keep them all. [​IMG]

10. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    collect the eggs every day, my hens never go broody on nothing, although i know some are more determined than others

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by