Why do all my hens go broody?

Quote:
The ones that go broody are 2 silkies and a leghorn. the leghorn has hatched out 2 clutches this year but I have to take the babies away right away as she doesn't like them.

Quote:
I think I got the determined of determined. I take eggs away about 3 times a day(or atempt to if there is any to take). For a while the broody hens keep laying in new places, then they just stop laying eggs or no eggs. 1 of them I left for a month straight and she wouldn't leave the nest other than to quickly roll in the sand and eat. I gave up and gave her a couple eggs.

Quote:
If the chicks are big enough to do without mom, you can try penning the moms away from the chicks. Sometimes that works, other times they just about beat themselves to death trying to get back out to join the babies. The best pen would be one with a pole to roost on, room to move around, food and water, but nothing even resembling nesting materials.

Quote:
If she's broody, she's already not laying. She's just going from nest to nest trying to get to hatch some eggs. I've got several that will brood bare straw if they don't have eggs. I collect eggs everyday, and in the spring, they start going broody, even with no eggs left in the nests. This is very common.

Here's a handy chart, http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html that you can use as a reference to find some non-broody breeds.

Back
Top Bottom