Why do all of my hens lay eggs in the same box?

swissmiss78

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2015
I have 9 hens that lay tons of eggs for us - but only in ONE box. They have many options. Their coop has three large nesting areas and then six smaller, cozy nexting boxes. They all lay in ONE of the large nesting boxes. How can I get them to use some of the other boxes? I would love to encourage one of the hens to continue to lay on some of the eggs but that is impossible when they basically wait in line for the one favorite box! Anybody else have this problem? Makes egg collecting pretty easy for us - but I'd love for them to at least toy around with the idea of some of the other comfy nesting boxes. :)

As a side note, the bedding gets replaced in all of the boxes every other day. They will hang out in the other boxes but won't lay any eggs in them. We have had these chickens and this coop set up for about four months and they have used this one box since the very first day.

I make what I call a spa day concoction for mine once a week using fresh herbs and edible plants and flowers. It consists of dandelion flowers, lavender leaves and flowers, marigold flower heads(I pull the ones that are drying up and separate them to go further), a little parsley,oregano, thyme & rosemary. Mix it up and sprinkle a bit in each box where they won't lay eggs. I'll just bet they will lay some in them. They will also eat all those goodies. I tried golf balls. Didn't work so I bought an 8 pack of ping pong balls from Dollar Tree. They are working but not 100%. But they must be playing with them bc I find some on the coop floor occasionally:)

I make what I call a spa day concoction for mine once a week using fresh herbs and edible plants and flowers. It consists of dandelion flowers, lavender leaves and flowers, marigold flower heads(I pull the ones that are drying up and separate them to go further), a little parsley,oregano, thyme & rosemary. Mix it up and sprinkle a bit in each box where they won't lay eggs. I'll just bet they will lay some in them. They will also eat all those goodies. I tried golf balls. Didn't work so I bought an 8 pack of ping pong balls from Dollar Tree. They are working but not 100%. But they must be playing with them bc I find some on the coop floor occasionally:)

Oh I forgot to mention I put in a few catnip leaves that I tear up in their spa concoction:)

I have eight laying, and four nest boxes, they all lay in the same one also. Sometimes I find a couple eggs in the next box, probably when they get sick of waiting Lol.

It is the way of most hens. I always say that it is BECAUSE, wouldn't you like to crawl into a warm bed, instead of having to warm up a cold one????????? If you can move a couple of warm eggs into the nest box closest, you might start a trend with the lineup, of using at least a second one??? Are your nest boxes large enough for 2 hens at a time?Sometimes grumpy ones won't let another hen enter until she is ready to leave her eggs. Whatever? It is natural and okay, unless eggs get broken or a broody stays on the nest 24/7!

Lol..because that's the way they roll. I've even had them try to sleep 5 or 6 to a nest box at night..With the rooster on top of the pile. The only thing I can figure out is they are doing it because they are chickens. Lol nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Block off the favorite box for a few days ... They can't hold it for that long! ;)

They will pick a new spot, maybe even a few spots ... Then after a few days open up the favorite box again ...

Chickens do the silliest things sometimes!

Block off the favorite box for a few days ... They can't hold it for that long! ;)

They will pick a new spot, maybe even a few spots ... Then after a few days open up the favorite box again ...

Chickens do the silliest things sometimes!

That's a great idea and a clever one. I might try that too :)

Just take a cardboard box that will just fit inside, and set it in there, or use tape to block it off, it is only a temporary situation ...

They do it because that is how they are designed -- the presence of another egg in the box indicates, "HERE -this is where you are meant to lay your egg too". If you feel you must influence them, simply "bait" the other nests with some golf balls, wooden eggs, etc to make them attractive as well. That being said, there is actually nothing "wrong" here or in need of being fixed. If a bird is going to go broody, she will go broody - and then you can worry about things. BTW, even if you do have a broody there is still no reason to keep other hens out of the nest. The broody may/may not become ferocious about it and keep the others out herself, but even if she doesn't this is not a problem. Simply mark the eggs that the broody starts with and check the nest daily to remove any newly donated eggs.

Back
Top Bottom