Why Do Chickens Stop Laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CapitalChickens, Oct 7, 2016.

1. CapitalChickens

CapitalChickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Hi all,

We have two Cochin bantams, a chocolate orpington (bantam), and a crested cream legbar. All beautiful and sweet ladies. Less than 2-yrs old.

None of them have laid for weeks. And the Legbar hasn't laid for months (after just a few eggs this spring). And none of them have laid much at all this summer; just a total of 2-3 eggs per week total from all four girls earlier this spring. Totally different than the 2-4 eggs per DAY we got last summer.

It's only their second laying season, so I am perplexed as to the cause of their ceased laying?

None are broody at the moment (really only our blue Cochin gets broody; the others don't). I've treated them for worms (two different treatments to cover a variety of potential worms) since at least one lady seems to have loose stools, both in the spring and again in August. They have plenty of energy, look great, and are eating and drinking just fine.

Is one laying season typical for these breeds?

We moved houses in March, but they've been settled in their new home for 5 months now, and they don't seem the least bit stressed.

Any ideas on what could be causing the lack of laying?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You did not mention what they are eating. The bantams are not exactly your top line egg producers, Th CCL should be doing better than the others. Often If chickens do not have the ideal nutrition including enough calcium, their laying decreases. They still live and act normal, just no eggs.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    'Less than 2 years old', say about 18 months? They may well be getting ready to molt.
    Plus not all birds are stellar layers, they can start and stop, or just slow down for periods on occasion.
    Agrees, your CL should be the best layers there, but it's not just about breeds but lines and individuals too.

Diet can definitely be a factor.....they need ample protein, more than the typical 16% layer feed, taking into account the balance of other foods given.

If you are free ranging, they may be laying out in range area.

There are other factors that may apply...crowding stress, stress from predator attacks, stress can take many forms some we might not be aware of.

Take a good look at the wide picture....age of birds, diet, space in coop/run, etc.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  5. CapitalChickens

CapitalChickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    They were previously eating a feather health food (from last fall's molt), and I switched them to an organic layer pellet with 16%+ protein. I'm not super consistent about oyster shell, so I'll add that. Now that many of you have said the CCL should be laying most (she is about 2 yrs old) I am worried about her. She has watery poops. I wonder if she has some other sickness? I've treated her for all worms.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by