Why Do Chickens.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickaroo!, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    ...Seem to prefer to drink out of nasty rain puddles rather than their nice, clean waterers??? [​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I do not know. When I clean out there cages outside they drink the nasty poo water. Thank god I dont use chemicals

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*why do chickens . . . Run around the backside of a tree to lay their eggs--rather than go near the nice nest box you provided?? [​IMG]

4. cooliseo

cooliseo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Rainbow
    I don't no either. Same here hypnofrogstevie. And after it rains they do that.

5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Maybe chickens are like babys? instead of playing with a $60 toy they rather play with a free box lol

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Total weirdness, Stevie-- You just described a Christmas when my kids were little to a "T". They got a lotta toys-- My mom got a weed-whacker for her roses--- and the kids played with that triangular sorta box ALL day!!!! HOW'D YOU DO THAT????? [​IMG] p.s.: Are you saying I should get the chicken a cardboard box?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Chickaroo! :

...Seem to prefer to drink out of nasty rain puddles rather than their nice, clean waterers??? [​IMG]

The same reason that dogs prefer to drink out of toilets.

Some basic need for trace minerals that has escaped human understanding for eons.​

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    d.k :

* Total weirdness, Stevie-- You just described a Christmas when my kids were little to a "T". They got a lotta toys-- My mom got a weed-whacker for her roses--- and the kids played with that triangular sorta box ALL day!!!! HOW'D YOU DO THAT????? [​IMG] p.s.: Are you saying I should get the chicken a cardboard box?

you might as well pack up the waterer and star digging little holes and filling it with water lol.

They freaked out when they went from a cardboard brooder to a big cage. I had to add on to the cardboard brooder lol. Maybe if you put some cardboard boxes outside I bet the chickens would be going in them all day​

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I'm trying one more time-- got a nice new plastic box-- and I'm gonna fill it with the dry ficus leaves she likes. . . . We'll see if that works at all. . . . Silly Goomba Chicken!!!

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

To drive you completely out of your mind like the rest of the children...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by