Why do ducks stomp in a mud puddle

My duck Gertrude does it too and I've spent a week trying to get it on film. So far, no luck
barnie.gif

But my theory is that stomping brings up little critters to eat. When I dump my pools out, there are lots of little thing that come up in the mud.You have to look real close to see, like little earthworms a centimeter long, and a whole bunch of other critters I have no idea what they are. But it proves there are things in that mud that the ducks are eating!

ps. If I get that video I'll post it here

Last edited:
I completely agree - as an observer, I know my "special" drake's life is more difficult than his siblings' because of his disability, but the important thing is that he doesn't know it's different for others, and he just does the best he can. I was amazed to discover that he can go up the ramp to his coop at night, and that he heads up when he hears us coming to secure the coops (the others just loiter and wait to be herded in, sigh). Such a smart guy...he's never felt sorry for himself...he just enjoys each day and attends to his important duck business. At first, I really wasn't sure if I had made the right decision not euthanizing him because he has to survive in a large free range, mixed species flock, but he's a trooper. I know I made the right decision now.

Thanks for sharing your story - it may help someone who's on the fence about how to proceed with a blind duck understand that this kind of impairment doesn't automatically mean a poor quality of life...and it may also inspire people.
1f60a.png

My duck Gertrude does it too and I've spent a week trying to get it on film. So far, no luck
barnie.gif

But my theory is that stomping brings up little critters to eat. When I dump my pools out, there are lots of little thing that come up in the mud.You have to look real close to see, like little earthworms a centimeter long, and a whole bunch of other critters I have no idea what they are. But it proves there are things in that mud that the ducks are eating!

ps. If I get that video I'll post it here
That's what my sister said........ I would love to see it if you catch it on video it is super cute

Back
Top Bottom