why do I cringe when they say "orfington"?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bwebb7, Dec 15, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Everytime my friend speaks of her birds, she tells me about her Orfingtons!
    I tell her how I have one Buff OrPington and one Buff OrPington cross. I don't know why it bugs me so?

2. A1 Steak Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    The same reason Birfday makes my skin crawl...... Because it's annoying lol!

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It's annoying when they do that. Just nicely correct her. Maybe she'll start saying it right!

4. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I don't know but it drives me nuts when people say Orpington and D'uccle incorrectly. If Orpington had an H in it I don't think it would bother me as bad.

5. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Wait a minute, I see a pattern. I have always gotten on to my husband for Philadelthia. I am mean.

6. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    My husband says memorized every time he means mesmerized and my father say crystal like this >> CHRIS CHALL [​IMG]

7. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    LOL [​IMG]

8. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    My husbands aunt says she has oringtons.... i want to shake her sometimes lol... I tell her about our orpingtons and emphasize the P but she never gets it.... I honestly believe she really thinks they are called oringtons and thats why she wont change how she says it and she gives me a funny look everytime i put a P in it... I also hate how people pronounce D' Uccle!!! AHHHH! Its dew-clay (right?!?!, please correct me if im wrong..)!!!! Not de-ukle or de-uncle!!!!

Edited because I guess I cant spell either.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, if you're going by the actual French pronunciation, D'Uccle would be Dew-kluh, but Americanized, I say Dew-Clay. Some names really depend on how the originator wants to pronounce it.

I have a friend who bought a Blue Orpington pullet from me about 2 years ago. She said the girl was just like a big oaf, lumbering along, and her husband jokingly called her an "Oafington", LOL. Sorta fits, really.

10. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG] I would say it fits perfectly lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by