Why do I keep on failing to keep baby chicks?

....they WILL eat the shavings.... I didn't have to teach them to eat the food, they went right to it. I didn't have to teach them to drink the water, they went right to it. I didn't have to teach them to go to the bowl of chick grit, they went right to it. They do peck and and eat the shavings... I also put sweet PDZ in the bottom of the brooder and spread the shavings on top of it, they scratch the shavings away and peck at the PDZ and eat it, they go right to the meal worm treats I put in occasionally. Same with the lettuce scraps, and yesterday we had corn on the cob for supper. I purposely left a couple rings of corn around one end of the cob and put a couple cobs in with them, they immediately went right to them and started pecking them. I didn't have to teach them to eat the food or treats I put in. It's in their nature to peck at everything and eat it....

Papa knows best.

As I have mentioned on other threads, chicks are curious. This makes them pick or peck at everything in their environment to investigate it. The things that chicks find "interesting" they eat. If they find an object un-interesting they soon loose interest in it. Some of the "interesting" objects I have found in a chickens gizzard are dimes, rings, other costume jewelry, nails, staples, bits of broken colored glass, and other things or parts of things best left un-mentioned.

Why not sprinkle some dry Old Fashioned Oat meal, canary seed, or a few whole oats on the bedding each day to stimulate your biddies into choosing the right stuff. Also baby chicks are always hungry so keep chick food before them all the time. Besides chickens are scavengers, so a little food that they'll have to scavenge for keeps them mentally alert as well as the exercise and calories will help keep them warmer.

Hi I've tried everithing! The first two chicks I bought and I put them under the care of my broody duck! Both were killed by my dog... So the second time I locked them up so the dog couldn't get in! My plan was foolproof but my duck took it for a swim... The third time was a baby duckling! It died later from I'm not sure what yet! And then this was my third time and the chickens found a hole in the wire and them chased the chick around until the chick got lost and couldn't find it's mother and died of cold! I can't believe I've failed again... All I want is to have at least one success full chick! It's embarrasing that my friends have kept baby chicks before and they don't even know how to care for chickens! And have dogs aswell!
Ducks are for raising ducklings. There is your first problem

We kept our chicks in a box in the garage with a heat lamp. Gave them fresh water daily and fresh chick feed. After a few days we just took them outside, they ran around freely by the house and hid in between the bushes. We put the water and feed out there too and in the evening they would come back to the box and wait for us to carry them back inside. They were in the front yard every day until they were big enough to stay with the other chickens. They all lived :) 
The only time we had chicks die is when I ordered Wyandottes. Only two of the 8 hatched and they both died within a day of hatching :(

Maybe when you do let them outside, make sure to cover them. Something like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400061/baby-chick-cage-run-pics 
And keep your dog away from them! What kind of dog is it? 
It's a Kelpie!

Your best bet is not to bed with shavings the first week or two. I use puppy pads, and sprinkle their starter on it to get them started eating. I also set their water in a low dish to catch any mess, it keeps the brooder dryer. If you brood in the house you don't need a heat lamp, a regular bulb will work, just keep track of the temp and raise or lower the bulb and/or wattage to keep it at the right temps. I always put a couple of teaspoons of apple cider vinegar per liter of water for them. P.S. they love boiled egg as a treat and its good for them.

I just made my brooder last night in less than an hour with a large tupperware tub - picture of my babies

Back
Top Bottom