1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do most people marry?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Jan 16, 2012.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Is it for love? Or because they think the other person will make a good spouse? Or for other reasons? I am curious, enlighten me please... [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    So you're telling me there's actually unmarried people here besides me? Wow. [​IMG]

3. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    TBD - Please help.
    My last wife married me because she thought I had money.
    Imagine her surprise! [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I know the three times I chose to marry I selected the wrong man. In hindsight, of course. I am currently not married and don't plan on marrying again. Ever.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I married because my husband said no other man would put up with my attitude...

(Kidding! [​IMG] ) Although he IS probably correct.. [​IMG]

6. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    TBD - Please help.

First time, I loved my wife.
    Second time, I was in love with my wife.
    Third time, I think I was bored and lonely.
    Fourth time...ain't gonna happen. [​IMG]

7. swift4me

swift4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    in the Pyrenees
    26 years for me and my wife this year. We fell in love, started a business, bought a house, then got married. Worked together for 25 years, (most of them 6 days a week), and never had kids. We got lucky.

I think after 3 tries, I'd give up too. If you get married too soon, or if one in the couple starts foolin around or turns psycho, I can see getting divorced. But aside from that, I think people just get selfish and forget what they loved about the mate in the first place.

I'd have a hard time trying a second time. Lots of the people I've known who have been divorced two or three times never realized that they were a pain in the butt to be around all the time.

Your question is a good one... maybe people fall in love and get married before they've had the time to learn if the person is a good spouse.

Pete

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    married my husband 20 years ago because I love him. we are still very much in love with each other. I was blessed to find my best friend

1 person likes this.
  9. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Because I could barely remember what was good about my life before I met him - and I couldn't imagine the rest of my life without him.

2 people like this.
  10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

In general, lots of reasons: love someone and want to be together a LOT, want children in wedlock, don't like being alone, financial or emotional support...sometimes just as an escape (my mother "ran away from home" that way, at FIFTEEN!!!).
    My first marriage was kind of a convenience thing (although emotions were involved too) - we were both military and that was a way we could be (for the most part) stationed together. The things we had in common as a military couple didn't last as a civilian one. But my son came from that union, so I have minimal regrets.
    In a sense, my 2nd marriage was a bit of a convenience as well. I loved DH (still do...lol), but really didn't want to get married. I'd been single/independent for over ten years, had my own home that I'd scrimped and saved for, a son in school that I didn't want to uproot, etc. I was very resistant to changing any of that. But driving back and forth (about an hour drive) several times a week got old (for both of us) after a while. And the schools in his area were excellent. So I took a leap of faith in remarrying, and other than the rough first year of transition, haven't regretted it.
    I know we'd all like to believe (because it feels so nice) that most couples get married for love, but there's really a LOT more to it than that - even throughout history.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by