Why do most people marry?

Most marry because they think they are in love I would imagine. I knew I would marry my husband the moment I met him ( depite dating his friend at the time). All I knew was that somehow, someway I would have kids with him and get old with him, so it was going to happen .We decided to marry roughly 3 months after we first met. So I guess we married for love too and for survival. There was no way we could have survived without each other. Messed up families and tied in knots, its only been happy since we were together.

The day that I met my wife there was a strong connection of like. She was attractive, funny, and I sensed that she was a truly good person. I was a college student and she was a secretary at the ag school. Understand folks that this was a long time ago, she was a GOOD Catholic girl and I was a lustful young man. Factor that all in we got married on semester break of my senior year. I was tired of waiting, folks, and I think you get the picture. I'm not certain that given my upbringing I even had a concept of what love was. I did know commitment and we both bought into 'Til death do us part'.

Fast forward, and I do mean FAST, and almost 48 years later we are still together. Some things never change. I still like her more than any other person that I have ever met. I enjoy her company and trust her more than any other I have ever met, we never run out of things to talk about, and she still makes me laugh. Above and beyond that, she has taught me how to love and has helped me create the family that I always wanted.

Speaking for her, she thought I was somewhat strange but entertaining??? She was looking to get away from a difficult home situation and I seemed a better alternative. She also liked me upon meeting and enjoyed my company. There is a strong probability that she truly loved me first - she has a far greater capacity for that emotion. Her major lifes' goal is to keep all that she loves safe and happy.

Much like for Heather Lynn "It's only been happy since we were together".

Why did we get married?

Met in high school a long time ago.

She was my first thought in the morning, my last thought
at night and most of the thoughts in between.

It's been a lifetime.

She's still that first thought.

Spook... who would do it all again.

Originally marriage was permitted for a man and a woman to avoid fornication. It certainly has evolved is all I can say.

As for why people marry there are many reasons and love is only one and is usually the reason for younger folks. The older ones that have been married a few times do it for money/benefits, companionship, beleifs, arrogance or as a condition set forth by one or the other to get the milk.

I got married at 19 (
th.gif
) to my best friend. This year makes 11 years. In hindsight, if we weren't so concerned about what his highly catholic parents thought, we wouldn't be married. Not because I don't love him more than life itself (and he feels the same towards me) but because we find the whole thing silly. First, you pay money to the town you get married in to prove you are married. Just another way the gov gets your money. While getting married you say something to the effect of "I will love you forever" and then 50% of people who said that didn't mean it. And I'm against how the gov treats homosexual couples, saying that their love is not the same as our love and therefore they can't be "married" when very few people take marriage seriously anyways.

So yeah. We got married because we liked each other's company more than his parents allowed without a marriage certificate.
roll.png

Originally marriage was permitted for a man and a woman to avoid fornication. It certainly has evolved is all I can say.

As for why people marry there are many reasons and love is only one and is usually the reason for younger folks. The older ones that have been married a few times do it for money/benefits, companionship, beleifs, arrogance or as a condition set forth by one or the other to get the milk.

gig.gif

I'm a little curious about this too. I know 10 years ago is was just what you did, but now it seems different. Personally, I'm not sure if I am going to get married. Sure, I will meet someone, live with them, and have children one day. But what is the point of a marriage? You can basically do everything anyways. I read a couple weeks ago that unmarried couples are becoming more popular with Generation X. We have grown up seeing our parents get married, divorce, and continue that cycle. It just seems like a waste now.

I'm sure there will be people who continue to marry (I may end up being one of them), but I think the amount of unmarried couples are going to grow.

I've been married more than I should have.. but I look at each one as a learning experience

once I married to get the heck out of my parent's home.. told myself I loved the guy when in reality it was just a way to escape.. for him .. well.. he wanted someone to replace his mom and take care of him.. someone to cook.. clean.. do his laundry all the while working three jobs so he could sit around the house and get high and party while I was working.. basically I wanted an escape.. he wanted to stay a teenager with no responsibilities... needless to say it got old fast

I married again.. for silly reasons... wanted to be part of a couple since I hated being alone.. unfortunately he didn't tell me he only wanted a green card so he could marry his sweetheart back home in his country and bring her to the states... wish he had bothered to tell me cause I could have made money off the arrangement ... He conned me.. yup.. should have seen it coming.. but I was dumb .. As soon as he got his green card I got stuck with a bunch of his bills.. meanwhile he was messing around on me (and his sweetheart back home) with any gal that bothered to give him a second glance..

my husband I have today.. well.. there was an instant connection between us.. still going strong and still as much in love today as the day we married (heck.. probably MORE in love every day than the day before)... call him my soulmate.. or whatever term that fits.. either way we married for love and because there has been a strong bond between us without either of us trying to escape or get something from the other.
I've often told him that I had to go through the crappy relationships so I could appreciate him even more.

I married my husband 33 years ago because I looked into the future and saw how much better it would be for us both if we had loving partners to make the trip with. We were best friends - and have remained so. Everything changes - the future, you, your partner(s), life, your expectations, your rewards. In so many ways this is a good thing and keeps life interesting, challenging and worth it all. But a little advance planning can give you many unexpected and welcome rewards.

I don't know why most people marry. I only know why I did.

PS We even forgot about wedding presents (Him: "If we'd known wgat nice things we'd get, we might have married sooner!"- that was a very cool surprise and we were very poor in the beginning. We just wanted to make sure we couldn't lose each other without a hassle.)

kate

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom