Why do my Chickens Roost on the Nesting Box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DrakeMom, Apr 22, 2019.

1. DrakeMom

DrakeMom Chirping

Mar 20, 2019
    El Campo, Texas
    Our chickens seem to hate roosting. Especially the younger ones. And when they do, it's on the perch that's attached to the front of the nesting box. It's not because there isn't enough space. And the nesting boxes are significantly lower than the perches. It's very annoying because there is always poop in the nesting boxes in the morning. Which gets on the eggs of course... If I go in there after dark and turn on the light, a huge amount of them fly down from the roosts and act like it's day time.

Susan Dye, CindyinSD, Sequel and 2 others like this.
  2. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Pics of the coop would be good.

What are the roosts like?

Don't go in there at night and turn the light on, then. You're messing up their sleep cycle.

Susan Dye, CindyinSD, Sequel and 6 others like this.
  3. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Will need the photos quite often young ones do not want to roost or cannot with older birds I actually use tables in my coop two of them same height, Son made them from pallets for em

4. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Pics please!

5. Can they get up on the roosts easily?
    Is the roost bar long enough for all of them?
    Can you block off the bar in front of the nesting boxes tward evening so they can not use it?
    Sorry, all questions, no answers.....

6. DrakeMom

DrakeMom Chirping

Mar 20, 2019
    El Campo, Texas
    IMG_20190328_182831.jpg
    You can't see it but there's a bar level with the the bottom of the nesting box. Actually if you look real close you can see it.

7. DrakeMom

DrakeMom Chirping

Mar 20, 2019
    El Campo, Texas
    And yes as I said before, there is definitely enough room for all of them. The nesting boxes now have curtains on them which helps keep out muck.

8. I would go out after dark and only using a dim flashlight, move the nest box roosting birds up on the roosts.
    It is possible that your older birds are not allowing the younger up on the roosts with them. Even if there is plenty of room.
    Is there enough space to add another roost?
    It would be interesting to see what is going on out there at dusk. Maybe you could rig up a camera and take video of it.

9. DrakeMom

DrakeMom Chirping

Mar 20, 2019
    El Campo, Texas
    50-45-1, that would be so interesting to put a camera out there! And, for a long time, I moved them to the roosts after dark every night, and they didn't seem to grasp the concept... maybe it's pecking order thing... IDK... I was mainly trying to figure out if anyone else's chickens had that tendency and if they left it or if they found a solution... I'm wondering if we took the perch off, would it hinder their ability to get into the nesting boxes?

10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Have you tried covering up the nest box entrances at dusk? You can use plywood, cardboard... maybe even slant it, so they can't sit on the bar in the front of the boxes.

If you're worried that you can't get out early enough in the morning to uncover boxes for laying hens, you can uncover them again once it's completely dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: