Why do my chicks keep getting shrink wrapped?

What day did they hatch on? Were they early or late? I consider it normal for some to hatch even a full day early or late but if they are consistently either early or late you may need to confirm your hatching temperature. Calibrate your thermometer to make sure it is correct. Same thing with your hygrometer. Calibrate it to make sure it is reading right.

Then something has changed. What? Are you incubating in the same spot or are you in a different place, even across the room? That can make a difference. A different time of the year? Was the incubator damaged? Are you opening or closing ventilation holes differently? From your write-up I can't see anything obvious but to consistently get different results something has to be different.
I need to learn how to calibrate them then, as I haven't done that, just plugged them in and turned them on.

They are in the same spot of the same room, and our house temps range from 69-71, air controlled. Pipping for the first two started on day 21, and its day 23 with 3 more come out alone (yay!) In the night. I have 8 eggs left, some have pipped. Leaving them alone completely and watching humidity. My others have all hatched by day 22 completely. So this is a later hatch, with the same chickens eggs from my flock.

One thing that had been different is I've noticed it seems much harder for the bator to keep its humidity steadily high. Example, I used to have the air hole open 3/4 of the way to maintain good humidity. The last two hatches I've had to have it closed to less than 1/4 of the opening to maintain humidity. Getting the extra hygrometers (a cheap one and a mid price option from amazon) has just confused me more because they all are slightly varied.

I need to learn how to calibrate them then, as I haven't done that, just plugged them in and turned them on.

It's not that unusual for thermometers and hygrometers to be off a bit. You can do an online search for different calibration methods. I do not use the ice water and boiling water methods for my thermometers, they don't read in that range anyway. This shows how old I am, I have a medical thermometer that I stick in my mouth to see if I have a fever. I use that to compare with my incubating thermometers. It's already calibrated. With the new fancy thermometers they have now I don't know how you'd use one to calibrate. Maybe someone else does, there should be a way.

I used to have the air hole open 3/4 of the way to maintain good humidity. The last two hatches I've had to have it closed to less than 1/4 of the opening to maintain humidity.

Sounds like you may have developed a leak somewhere. Check how it seals when you put the top on. One time my turner electric cord got out of the groove so the lid did not seal properly. It did not affect the temperature but it sure dropped the humidity.

I have struggled with incubator temperature & RH and it is difficult to find reliable sensors. I found these Govee bluetooth thermometer/hygrometers and they work very well. They claim .5°F and 3% RH accuracy.
They are small and can easily go in an incubator without bothering the eggs. They are bluetooth so you do not have to hoover over the bator. They also keep a 31 day record of the temps & RH so you can look back at the entire incubation if you so desire.
You can find them on Amazon or go to the Govvee.com website.
Govee.jpg

Back
Top Bottom