Why do my chicks keep getting shrink wrapped?

EllieandOlive

Songster
Aug 29, 2020
West Central Kentucky
I have hatched sucessfully 7 times now with the same incubator, a nurture right 360 from TSC. The last two times now every chick has pipped and then zero change for around 18 hours. I have had to help them all hatch. My first 5 hatches they all did great unassisted. I bought TWO more hygrometers for a total of three to make sure my humidity isn't dropping. They are all close to the same readings. I never open the incubator once I start lockdown and I always add warm water when refilling. Obviously it had to get opened to save the shrink wrapped chicks on day 22/23 but I always add a warm and wet paper towel and open/close as fast as possible, keeping an eye on my humidity meters. For the last 3 days I keep humidity above 65% always and aim for around 75%+. I have about 11 eggs left that haven't pipped yet and am so paraniod of them shrink wrapping!

I can't think why this keeps happening! My last hatch I had 14/14 chicks survive but all had fully shrink wrapped with zero progress so I chanced stepping in, thankfully saving them all.

Attachments

• 0222211609.jpg
    0222211609.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 0222211610.jpg
    0222211610.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Do you candle before lockdown? If so, how do the air sacks look? Size and shape? Is it cold where you're at? If the last batches have been laid in cold weather, did you get the eggs to room temperature before setting them? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to find something that could be different.

My first thought is you said you only waited 12 hours before "helping". Is that correct? Regardless of what day they pip I never assist until a full 24 hour post external pip.

What you're describing sounds like the eggs lost too much moisture. Seasonal changes in ambient humidity could be affecting weight loss. I would take a closer look at humidity day 1-18 not lockdown. Start weighing your eggs during incubation for a better idea of what's happening.

These are the sites I use for trouble shooting rough hatches. I hope they'll help you dial in on your issues.

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/eggs/res24-00.html

http://extension.msstate.edu/content/trouble-shooting-failures-egg-incubation

My first thought is you said you only waited 12 hours before "helping". Is that correct? Regardless of what day they pip I never assist until a full 24 hour post external pip.

What you're describing sounds like the eggs lost too much moisture. Seasonal changes in ambient humidity could be affecting weight loss. I would take a closer look at humidity day 1-18 not lockdown. Start weighing your eggs during incubation for a better idea of what's happening.

These are the sites I use for trouble shooting rough hatches. I hope they'll help you dial in on your issues.

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/eggs/res24-00.html

http://extension.msstate.edu/content/trouble-shooting-failures-egg-incubation
Yes after reading and researching a TON this evening, I now realize that 12 hours is too soon to mess with them, but the actual time was about 18 hours as they pipped the night before and I helped the following afternoon. But once shrink wrapped, they're doomed without help right?

With these two (they are currently doing well and I'm leaving the rest alone, no other pips yet) I learned they needed to absorb their yolk/blood up before assisting. These had some blood when I helped. Ugh. Always learning!

Last edited:
Do you candle before lockdown? If so, how do the air sacks look? Size and shape? Is it cold where you're at? If the last batches have been laid in cold weather, did you get the eggs to room temperature before setting them? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to find something that could be different.
Yes I do candle before lockdown. Air pockets were large and on the correct end of egg. I'm not sure what to look for with the air pockets really though, I just check for growth and make sure there are no bad eggs. They were laid in 50+ degree temps as the lowest, and yes they sat overnight pointy side down on the kitchen counter to 'regulate'. Oldest eggs were probably 5 days old. A side note is I had 5 bantam eggs in with the standard eggs and the bantams all hatched 2 days ago effortlessly, before any of the standard eggs had pipped. I took humidity precautions when removing the chicks and continuing lockdown for the rest.

Back
Top Bottom