Why do my roosters only mate with certain hens?

if your large rooster is hurting your smaller chicken maybe try putting in a ledge for them maybe a piece of ply wood somewhere between 8-12 inches off the ground so they can hide under it from the roosters ---- I don't know just a thought

When we had a rooster, we had a hen who hated him and refused his advances. He would grab her by the neck and attempt to mount her and she would start running. He would continue to hold fast to the back of her neck and she would drag him around the yard until he gave up and let go. :lau
It was a total hoot to watch. (poor guy). :lau:lau

Not if they both have good technique.
That's why a female squats when the male mounts her, to help take the weight on her back.

Then why do you have any males, let alone 2?
They also squat because fertilization is impossible without them getting their arses in the air and meeting cloacas.

They also squat because fertilization is impossible without them getting their arses in the air and meeting cloacas.
Well, yes...but I was answering a question specifically about size or birds.

Is it a problem for such large roosters to mate with smaller laying hens

Not if they both have good technique.
That's why a female squats when the male mounts her, to help take the weight on her back.

When we had a rooster, we had a hen who hated him and refused his advances. He would grab her by the neck and attempt to mount her and she would start running. He would continue to hold fast to the back of her neck and she would drag him around the yard until he gave up and let go. :lau
It was a total hoot to watch. (poor guy). :lau:lau
Our mature Blue Orp hen did this to a May cockerel this year, she must have run a hundred feet to knock him off under the fallen apple tree. He has long since become casserole.

Back
Top Bottom