Why do our butchered birds have stiff legs?

Quote:
My birds are flexible when they come back from the processor too, I think it must be becasue they do it so quick, and the legs are in a relaxed position before rigor sets in. You can also let the chicken rest a few days in the fridge after thawing too, and flex the leg muscles a bit when you put it into the roast pan.

I have asked my wonderful hubby when he goes turkey hunting not to carry the turkey by the legs when he is coming out of the bush. but he says it's too difficult to carry it otherwise. Try cooking a turkey with the legs standing straight up. Tastes fine but looks funny.

Quote:
My birds are flexible when they come back from the processor too, I think it must be becasue they do it so quick, and the legs are in a relaxed position before rigor sets in. You can also let the chicken rest a few days in the fridge after thawing too, and flex the leg muscles a bit when you put it into the roast pan.

I have asked my wonderful hubby when he goes turkey hunting not to carry the turkey by the legs when he is coming out of the bush. but he says it's too difficult to carry it otherwise. Try cooking a turkey with the legs standing straight up. Tastes fine but looks funny.

lau.gif

I had that problem with the last chicken I killed. Usually I rest them for a few days and can flex them into shape but this time it had to be cooked right away so I had to cook it lieing on its side, cooked ok but looked really weird lol

Quote:
When I cook a whole bird, I get some string and tie the legs together, prior to cooking, and sometimes tie them down into an attractive position for serving. Then when you take it out of the oven, you can take the string off and it stays in that position.

Quote:
I doubt dh would want to hold one while it was trying to flap it's wings and blood gushing out.
roll.png

gig.gif
and then clean it in its oven ready position
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
:gig I think we may be running out of ideas to help with the stiff leg problem, It's really easy, but I have enjoyed the post.

AL

I have no experience with this - - - but i have heard that if you shake it once it's dead it should loosen up the muscles...it's what big cats do to their prey.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom