Why do people have to lie??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ugh, I'm going to go off on a little rant here...

I'm home from college for a month and a half for break. Yesterday my mom asked me to go get a bag of meats that she left at the register by mistake in the food store. So I said sure, I'd go get it. I figured I would ask my friend to come with me to keep me company (Food store is not very close to my house). So I call him and he says sure, let me just ask my family if they have anything planned.

I don't hear from him right away so I text him and he tells me his mom told him he couldn't go. So now I'm wondering why in the world his MOM would tell him he couldn't go. It just doesn't make sense, because he's old enough to make decisions about going to the foodstore himself. Basically, we aren't little kids any more. I will be twenty in less than a month.

Sooo...I end up going back to the foodstore with my mom and later I ask this "friend" why in the world his mom said he couldn't go. He told me that he never asked her, he just really didn't feel like going. WHAT?! He completely LIED to me?...and what's worse, this isn't the first time someone I considered a friend has done this to me!

I just don't understand why people feel the need to lie, especially about little things like this. If you don't want to go somewhere, why not just say so? I may be bummed that you can't go, but it's much easier to accept when someone tells you the truth!

Later he did apologize, but once someone lies to you it's difficult to trust them for some time. His family has a habit of doing this, but I always thought he was different [​IMG]

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    cat don't make dog. He will turn out just like his parents.

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Try not to get too upset about it. The sad truth is that there are very few people in this world that can be trusted.

That being said, this is something I would consider a minor offense. Strike one, if you will.

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:I don't agree with that statement. All young people need guidance, and Chickerdoodle, if he's not getting it from his parents, maybe you can show him the way to behave properly.

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    some people lie to try to buffer the impact..

your friend needs a lot more practice,, he is a lousy liar.[​IMG]

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    His family has a good heart, and so does he. They just have different ways, and I don't always agree with them. His sister and I used to be best friends back in our Elementary school days ten years ago. Then she started the lying and the excuses and she never called me up to do anything. Many a day I would be frustrated by her!

Her brother and I have a lot in common and he's a good person. He's a bit younger than me, but for the most part doesn't act it. That's why I enjoy being friends with him. Sometimes he does things that really get on my nerves, but last night was the first time I was ever upset by him.

I did explain to him why I was mad, and made it clear that I would accept the truth much better than a lie. I told him I was mostly annoyed and that I would forgive him. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's forgiving. I may not forget, but I can certainly forgive.

Haha, and yes! He is a terrible liar. [​IMG] He gets that from his parents too...

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Bummer Chicker...I would rather have had him say that I didn't want to go than be a jerk.

8. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Dont be too hard on him...a lot of people have problems saying the word "No" to a friend...its as easy as that...tell him in future if you ask him something the truth is better than a "white lie" because he does not want to say no outright.....

No-one is perfect sweetie........ [​IMG]

9. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Not much of a friend, is he? Bummer.

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It sounds like you really value his friendship. This is a great time to give him some feedback. Tell him that he hurt your feelings more by lying to you than he would have by telling the truth. Let him know it's OK if he didn't want to go and that it's OK to be honest about these things. They're what make friendships matter.

If he's worth keeping as a friend - and it sound like you think he is - then he's worth being truthful with. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by