Why do people keep Heads & Legs

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tdub4chiks, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I was just reading the post regarding butchering chickens. It was very informative, but in the end, he showed a picture of the ending product, cut up into pieces. He showed the leg, breast, wings, etc. Why did he keep the head and the legs? Do people really eat these things? Just wondering - I've never heard of this, but of course, I'm real new to keeping chickens.

Thanks in advance for any answers. Just being curious...lol

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    To make chicken broth.

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    To make soup stock or head cheese. Guess traditional head cheese is from pork, but chicken works also.

4. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Thanks for the info. I thought chicken broth was made from heard, gizzards and the bones. I learn something new everyday....that's why I ask.

Again, thanks.

5. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Actually many cooks will tell you that the BEST broth includes the feet. The feet have so my gelatin that they make a silky smooth broth with lots of body.

6. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Yep, when I was a youngster and bumming around South America, I would stop into casual restaurants (more like people's kitchens with a couple of tables) and order chicken soup. The soup usually had the feet floating in it. I was up for eating some interesting things, but never could bring myself to gnaw on the feet.

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    my friends grandma makes the BEST chicken noodle soup out of chicken feet [​IMG]

8. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    We just made "feet broth" a few weeks ago. We used only the feet, and it was the best broth I've ever tasted. My DW's grandma told us they used to eat them. Broth is about as far as I'm willing to go. LOL

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    look up frugals how to make chicken stock thread, it's a really fun read and super informative. He shows very clearly how to use them . . . I'm going to try it one day!

10. mordarlar

mordarlar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Quote:I stayed with an older couple in France for a few weeks, when i was just out of high school. The wife would prepare the husband's soup with the feet in it. He would eat them sort of like a small corn cob. He also would crack the skull with his spoon and drink the brain. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by