Why do people keep Heads & Legs

Tdub4chiks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Constantia, NY
I was just reading the post regarding butchering chickens. It was very informative, but in the end, he showed a picture of the ending product, cut up into pieces. He showed the leg, breast, wings, etc. Why did he keep the head and the legs? Do people really eat these things? Just wondering - I've never heard of this, but of course, I'm real new to keeping chickens.

Thanks in advance for any answers. Just being curious...lol

Thanks for the info. I thought chicken broth was made from heard, gizzards and the bones. I learn something new everyday....that's why I ask.

Again, thanks.

Actually many cooks will tell you that the BEST broth includes the feet. The feet have so my gelatin that they make a silky smooth broth with lots of body.

Yep, when I was a youngster and bumming around South America, I would stop into casual restaurants (more like people's kitchens with a couple of tables) and order chicken soup. The soup usually had the feet floating in it. I was up for eating some interesting things, but never could bring myself to gnaw on the feet.

my friends grandma makes the BEST chicken noodle soup out of chicken feet
droolin.gif

We just made "feet broth" a few weeks ago. We used only the feet, and it was the best broth I've ever tasted. My DW's grandma told us they used to eat them. Broth is about as far as I'm willing to go. LOL

look up frugals how to make chicken stock thread, it's a really fun read and super informative. He shows very clearly how to use them . . . I'm going to try it one day!

Quote:
I stayed with an older couple in France for a few weeks, when i was just out of high school. The wife would prepare the husband's soup with the feet in it. He would eat them sort of like a small corn cob. He also would crack the skull with his spoon and drink the brain.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom