Why do people keep pheasants and quail?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by kristenm1975, Sep 26, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    This may be a silly question, but I've been wondering if these birds are good to eat, or lay good eggs, or are for showing, or are guard birds...?

Just wondering!

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i got my red goldens just to look at,, and got my ringnecks to eat ( after i get my breeding stock)

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I got pheasants because they are very pretty and not as common as chickens but just as easy to care for in most cases. That is like asking people why they keep parakeets or other non-talking parrots, they are for looks. I agree with the1much, ringnecks do taste pretty good, specially some of the jumbo meat type birds.

4. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    Quail are fun to hatch and keep.
    Button Quail are just for the enjoyment of having them.

Coturnix Quail are fun to raise, you can eat them and they lay lots of eggs you can eat as well.

5. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Do people usually use quail eggs much the same way that chicken eggs are used? Are there situations where they would NOT be eaten the same way? This is very interesting to me. The only place I remember seeing quail eggs for sale was in a large Asian market. Cute little speckled buggers!

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Quail eggs are often used on relish trays and similar. You can cook with them but it takes alot of eggs. They also have more yolk to white than chicken eggs so you have may have to adjust for that.

7. GPN

GPN Got Pheasants? Nessia

Aug 6, 2008
    Snead, Alabama
    I got mine in a trade and now am in Love with them and Probly won't sell them but enjoy them and Hopefully raise more! [​IMG]

8. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Most people like to eat them, and the eggs. We have quail for the egg's. The egg's are very good, and they are really good pickled.

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I got my button quai for the cute factor. Plus if there eggs are good I will eat a few and incubate a few

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by