Why do people keep pheasants and quail?

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
This may be a silly question, but I've been wondering if these birds are good to eat, or lay good eggs, or are for showing, or are guard birds...?

Just wondering!

I got pheasants because they are very pretty and not as common as chickens but just as easy to care for in most cases. That is like asking people why they keep parakeets or other non-talking parrots, they are for looks. I agree with the1much, ringnecks do taste pretty good, specially some of the jumbo meat type birds.

Quail are fun to hatch and keep.
Button Quail are just for the enjoyment of having them.

Coturnix Quail are fun to raise, you can eat them and they lay lots of eggs you can eat as well.

Do people usually use quail eggs much the same way that chicken eggs are used? Are there situations where they would NOT be eaten the same way? This is very interesting to me. The only place I remember seeing quail eggs for sale was in a large Asian market. Cute little speckled buggers!

Quail eggs are often used on relish trays and similar. You can cook with them but it takes alot of eggs. They also have more yolk to white than chicken eggs so you have may have to adjust for that.

I got mine in a trade and now am in Love with them and Probly won't sell them but enjoy them and Hopefully raise more!
smile.png

Most people like to eat them, and the eggs. We have quail for the egg's. The egg's are very good, and they are really good pickled.

Back
Top Bottom