Why do people look at me funny when I say I ordered chicks from Murray Mchurray?

Only if you say it the way you spelled it (Murray McMurray).
lol.png
Otherwise, no, you're not crazy!

Yeah a little typo there. Just seems like every time I mention I have chicks coming from Murray people have that look on their face like "oh my god what an idiot"
Is it a totally inhumane messed up place?

I ordered from them. They have the best Marek's vaccination, which is why used them. I am very happy with my pullets, hatched in late October.

Maybe it's the fact that you ordered from a hatchery instead of buying chicks at the feed store.

I've ordered from several different hatcheries, and MMM is one of my favorites. I know MMM is the go-to hatchery for other BYCers, too.

I think you just let their prejudices roll off your back. A bird from a breeder is a choice for some, but often is not the best choice for many people. It all depends on what you want from your chickens. For example, many birds from breeders that are bred to be show birds lay fewer eggs than hatchery birds, while a hatchery bird is unlikely to win at the show. If you just want eggs from a nice backyard bird that looks mostly like the breed you wanted, then a hatchery like MMM is just the right place for you. I'd rather order from MMM than buy at the feed store, for instance.

One thing that I've noticed is that MMM is such a large hatchery, and so many people order from them, that of course there will be problems with some orders, with DOA babies, etc. Then those problems get reported at a place like BYC and it seems like everyone has problems with them, when in reality it's only the dissatisfied people that are telling their stories and those of us that have ordered hundreds of chicks from MMM, never had a DOA (but have had a few die within three days), never had a pullet turn out to be a roo, we don't really have a story to tell so the good things about the hatchery aren't heard. If my ramble makes sense, LOL.

I had a horrible experience with Murray. Hereditary defects. Twisted feet and cross beak. I called them to let them know and they acted like they never heard of either problem in chickens. They ignored the problem. I asked that someone in management call me.....That never happened! I would never order from them again and take the chance of getting more defective chickens.

Yeah a little typo there. Just seems like every time I mention I have chicks coming from Murray people have that look on their face like "oh my god what an idiot"
Is it a totally inhumane messed up place?

Hatcheries are basically the puppy mills of the chicken world. Poorly bred animals that only sort of represent what they are supposed to be, often adult stock is not kept in the best conditions, throwing day old male chicks into grinders while they are still alive doesn't set well with a lot of folks. Everyone has to make up their own mind, but that might explain some of the reactions you get.

Back
Top Bottom