Why do people re-open ancient threads?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sonoran Silkies, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Some threads are old, but continually posted to--those in the "Where Am I? Where Are You?" section or the breed specific threads in the "Breeds" section, but it seems like lately I see a thread pop up to the top of the list in the sections I frequent that look interesting, or that I have previously responded to and when I open it up, the thread has not been active for years. Unless it is an update from the OP, it really does not make sense.

I can understand those who respond to the new poster who reopened the thread--I've done that, only to realize later that the thread was actually several years old. But it seems like you would have to HUNT for a thread that old, so what is the purpose in doing so and re-opening it?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I've seen this too. The nearest I have come is that perhaps the topic was found in a search for information and once the poster got to reading it responded, completely forgetting it was an old thread discovered in a search versus a recent thread.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  3. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It just seems to be happening a lot more recently.

4. Orpingtons4U

Orpingtons4U Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Yeah *Makes sure this thread was just made* LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :D ;)

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Most of the resurrections that I have seen lately have been done by someone who has just joined, so maybe they aren't noticing how old the thread is?:confused:

6. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    I bet part of the reason why is that sometimes people are told to not start a new thread but to search through the old ones. When I've searched they aren't sorted by date order or anything so people may not even be looking at the date.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hmmm, when I search, mine are always date ordered. I do think that searching for information before posting is reasonable, but if the thread is ancient, I think a new thread should be started. But it seems like a lot of the replies are to threads that really don't seem like something someone would be searching for--like in the "What Breed or Gender Is This?" section.

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Have only noticed this with new members. I guessed that they were searching the topic on an external engine, found a thread relevant to their interest , signed-up, and posted. Used to see this in EDC subforum (sick poultry - post in old thread/get info. - never post again). Overall, unless the old thread was very specific to a single person & place & breed & variety & condition & attribute or aspect, I consider most `chook' threads gone by to be merely held in reserve, in a box in a rack, hoping for resurrection... [​IMG]

9. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I think it is because not many folks are posting new topics anymore.

Then when folks post about something that has been discussed prior, they are rudely instructed to use the search bar.

I personally like to see the good old threads again. Some really good ones out there.

Thats my opinion anyway, for what thats worth...

10. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, I don't understand the problem with opening old threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by