Why do people re-open ancient threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonoran Silkies

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Tempe, Arizona
Some threads are old, but continually posted to--those in the "Where Am I? Where Are You?" section or the breed specific threads in the "Breeds" section, but it seems like lately I see a thread pop up to the top of the list in the sections I frequent that look interesting, or that I have previously responded to and when I open it up, the thread has not been active for years. Unless it is an update from the OP, it really does not make sense.

I can understand those who respond to the new poster who reopened the thread--I've done that, only to realize later that the thread was actually several years old. But it seems like you would have to HUNT for a thread that old, so what is the purpose in doing so and re-opening it?

I've seen this too. The nearest I have come is that perhaps the topic was found in a search for information and once the poster got to reading it responded, completely forgetting it was an old thread discovered in a search versus a recent thread.

Last edited:
Most of the resurrections that I have seen lately have been done by someone who has just joined, so maybe they aren't noticing how old the thread is?:confused:

I bet part of the reason why is that sometimes people are told to not start a new thread but to search through the old ones. When I've searched they aren't sorted by date order or anything so people may not even be looking at the date.

I bet part of the reason why is that sometimes people are told to not start a new thread but to search through the old ones. When I've searched they aren't sorted by date order or anything so people may not even be looking at the date.

Hmmm, when I search, mine are always date ordered. I do think that searching for information before posting is reasonable, but if the thread is ancient, I think a new thread should be started. But it seems like a lot of the replies are to threads that really don't seem like something someone would be searching for--like in the "What Breed or Gender Is This?" section.

Have only noticed this with new members. I guessed that they were searching the topic on an external engine, found a thread relevant to their interest , signed-up, and posted. Used to see this in EDC subforum (sick poultry - post in old thread/get info. - never post again). Overall, unless the old thread was very specific to a single person & place & breed & variety & condition & attribute or aspect, I consider most `chook' threads gone by to be merely held in reserve, in a box in a rack, hoping for resurrection...
GhanaGo.jpg

I think it is because not many folks are posting new topics anymore.

Then when folks post about something that has been discussed prior, they are rudely instructed to use the search bar.

I personally like to see the good old threads again. Some really good ones out there.

Thats my opinion anyway, for what thats worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom