why do people think your horrible when you say u eat your chickens

Quote:
Silly ChickenRich86.........don't you know chicken nuggetts come from McDonalds??
lau.gif

Quote:
Silly ChickenRich86.........don't you know chicken nuggetts come from McDonalds??
lau.gif

As silly as that sounds I know people who actually believe that
roll.png

I think it's mostly because they don't think about where their food is coming from. I confess I've done the same... now it's catching up to me and kicking my tail. My wrecked nerves are really wishing I'd kept my head buried... but my logical noggin is glad I finally pulled my head out of my... sandbox.

Course in my case it was the chemicals and hormones I ignored... not the blood... but similar still.

My SIL gets this really green look just from talking about my eggs... can't imagine her face if we were able to raise meaties... and yet she proudly shows off the pic of her son, 11 at the time holding up what was left of Bambi... go figure.

I found out at catering college i was squeemish, we had to pluck and gut a bird each in class, i cant explain why but i couldnt gut and pluck the same bird, my friend was the same so we swapped, stupid lol
i totally agree with the reasons for raising your own meat birds, factory produced chicken is so wrong but im a hypacrit if i had the land to raise say 100 meat birds then send them for processing alive and get back oven ready meat i could. but i can only have 6 in my garden for me they are pets for eggs they have names and personalities and will toddle off to chucky heaven via natural causes. the thought of doing the deed myself eeewwwww no i couldnt i know my birds personally like i do my dog the lizards and my fish lol.

When my son was younger (6 or 7) he loved chicken wings.... until the day he realized they were called CHICKEN WINGS because they came from CHICKENS. What a silly boy.
gig.gif

This was our first year raising and processing our own chickens and if i can look at meaties all summer and butcher them, anyone can do it.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
^Been there. My MIL gives me That Look every single time I say (or the Kids say) "We had cow for dinner" or "We had pig for dinner"... I've tried asking her what the deal is... she has no problem saying she's having fish or chicken... what's your hangup about cows and pigs?

*shrug*

In my experience, those are folks who haven't kept poultry for very long - so they don't realize what spending 20 years feeding a bird whose best egg laying years are far behind them will be like.

Here comes my personal opinion (hold on tight!): Some folks are just too sentimental about their birds, others are just wimps. Sorry to say it, but these aren't folks who take mastery of their lives, budget and health, generally speaking.

People ask what I do with my birds and I tell them and they constantly ask how can you do that, simple they aren't my pets I am raising for a specific purpose eggs or meat, when they stop laying I butcher them. They look at me like I have 3 heads, I tell its simple I know how they were raised and I know how they were butchered and I have payed a good price for the meat they are giving me to just let them die naturally and not use their meat is not economical. We all on here know that we pay a huge price for the feed and housing of these animals to not use these animals to their fullest extent.

@TechEdFireman- Thats another point I make about when they stop laying. Its not an economical use of resources. I can feed a nonproductive hen and buy one that was poorly raised with a low quality of life, and has a huge carbon footprint, is tasteless and bland, and is of inferior taste, texture, and wholesomeness.

Last night we were caging up the surplus cockerels and occassional old hen in prep for butcher day (today!)

My 15yo and 12yo sons were apologizing to each one that we could not keep them all, and then telling them what nice drumsticks and breast meat they had.

It was weird and surreal. But ok too, somehow. Very strange.

The local Amish butcher the birds for far less than I could (they have a system, extra hands and all the right equipment), so I have no qualms about taking them there to be done any more than I would buying a quilt rather than making one. My family enjoys the raising and the eating, and the processing gets done humanely. The Amish are paid for the service they provide. Every thing seems as fair as it can be.

Some think it makes me a dishonest meat eater if I cannot kill my own, but I cannot sew as efficiently as others either. Yet I still wear clothes (Thankfully).

I guess I am rambling that everybody is going to have their own opinion about what is "right", "Civilized", "appropriate", "barbaric".

You need not care for their good opinion.

Back
Top Bottom