Why do pigeons have to be so pretty?!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Chickerdoodle13, May 17, 2009.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I saw so many pigeons for sale at a show yesterday. Many of them were $3-$10 a piece. I promised myself I was not going to get into pigeons anymore because I am away at school for half of the year and its not like they produce eggs like my chickens.

I was able to return without any pigeons, but man were there some pretty ones. I had my eye on a HUGE pair of black and white spotted ones. They were just humongous! I walked away, but not without any regret!

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I saw the fancy tailed pigeons and the lady next to the sale area had a trunk full of them. I almost bought a few since I have a huge empty bird cage.

3. chinbunny1

chinbunny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Was there any giant house pigeons or archangels there?

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:Yep, I saw those. She had some georgous ones! And some that were quite rare. I just hate having 15 million cages to clean and feed/water all the time! Maybe sometime in the future when I can devote more time to them. For now, my doves will have to do.

Chinbunny,

There were some archangels, but it looked like they sold because I didn't see them when I walked back past the cage. The guy that had those for sale had some beautiful pigeons of all different breeds. They were very healthy looking birds. I don't know about the giant house pigeons, but he did have some huge modenas and about five or six of the giants pigeons I had my eye on. I was thinking those were runts or kings, but I wasn't sure. It didn't say on the cage.

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    The birds you were looking at where probably black mottled Runts [​IMG] I used to have one.

And I'm guessing those fancy tailed ones where Fantails? [​IMG] One kind or the other.

Giant Hungarians are actually a bit rare. I don't see too many around.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  6. chinbunny1

chinbunny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    lol you should have bought the angels and shipped them to me. j/k. [​IMG]

Been looking for another pair of giant hungarian house pigeons.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  7. Keith C.

Keith C. Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Dayton, Ohio.
  8. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Check out parlor rollers there are some videos of them on youtube i beleive oddest performing bird i have ever seen when i am able to get back in i want some

9. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Why do pigeons have to be so pretty?!

It's to make up for when you walk under a tree they are in and they poop in your hair. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by