Why do roosters crow?

I figure if I were a rooster, I'd crow. I mean, the scratching, breeding, eating, roosting, strutting, fighting and mischief would just get old. And I mean, it's no fun doing any of it unless the others know you're there.

I thought that our rooster crowed to wake the kids at 11 PM. Boy was I wrong...
gig.gif

One of the reasons they crow is to tell the world "This is MY territory" to let other roosters in the area know that if they trespass here, they can expect a fight.

gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I was thinking for myself...if we could figure out why they crow then we could satisfy the urge and settle on that..... But if its to anoy the neighbors.... boy I guess that deal is out then!!!!
barnie.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I have 5 roosters and they all have different crows. I know that my bantam RIR is the loudest. The D'Uccle is 2nd loudest, and usually the first one to crow in the morning. He usually starts about 4:00am, sometimes earlier.

There are roosters down the road and I can hear them answering my roosters crows.

I know my little Shogun has gotten too big for his chicken-britches lately ... he attacks my daughter sometimes and has even attacked me once. (This is maybe a pound and a half Japanese Bantam roo, LOL.)

He's my favorite though, so I don't want to have to get rid of him. So we try to put him in his place. He's so tiny, I don't want to hurt him (and he's quick too!), so I usually chase him around and boot him just a bit with my foot when I can catch up to him.

Still, as soon as he gets away, he ALWAYS crows immediately ... I think he's saying "yeah, but I'm STILL the boss around here!!!"

So much for my show of dominance, LOL.

trish

Quote:
Depending on the breed... Most roosters start trying to crow at about 4 months. egyptian fayoumis will start crowing at i believe. 5 weeks. maybe little more. BUT... I have a few hens that crow.. (believe it or not)... and have had more before them as well. Their in gamefowl though..i guess.. high testosterone levels or something..

Back
Top Bottom