Why do roosters crow?

At present only have 26 That crow, fifty straight run coming on wonder how many ill have in few weeks, good thing i not in town
gig.gif

We looked at a very interesting house once when we wanted to buy one. It must have been converted a number of times, and was a huge sprawling thing that could have been a 4-plex at one time, on a huge, shaded and secluded lot, but right in the city, so very convenient. Perfect in every way for us. And the price was rock-bottom too.

But a neighbor must have raised chickens or something. There were crows every second of the day anytime we were there looking at the house, and they were LOUD. Hehe, "Dueling Roos."

We reluctantly decided not to buy that house. I was afraid that, sooner or later, it might drive me batty.

That was before I had chickens. I wonder if it would even bother me now?

trish

DTChicken,

My chicks are nine weeks old. The one in question is a New Hamphire Red. SHE is bigger then the other NHRed and way bigger then my Barred Ply. Rocks. She also attached my foot the other day so I was just thinking that maybe Henny Penny is actually a Henry Nickle! What do you guys think?! What other signs should I be looking for to see if she is a rooster?

Thanks,
Liza

RE: Fayoumis start crowing at 5 weeks
I'll back that up. Mine started to crow at around 5 weeks give or take a few days.
Here he is at 7 weeks, "Preaching to the Choir"
05060817461.jpg

(by the way, that ugly square thing behind him is a home made waterer)

NOTE: add to the list:
They also crow at cars that come in the driveway, just like my dogs do! On the other hand, my goats and even the ducks sound off at my cars. (the roo isn't particular, any car will do)
Probably becasue of my habit of feeding as soon as I get home from work.....

Quote:
Hehe, I wondered what it was like with so many crowing. I only have 3 roos at present ... though both of my straight-run chicks are looking suspicious to me.

Mine don't bother me either, even though they start at about 4am. But you have a lot more than I do.

I just wonder what the house I was hearing all that crowing from looked like. It WAS in the city, and most houses around there had normal sized yards. And I'm not exaggerating at all when I say they literally crowed every second, usually 2 or 3 at once. That must be a LOT of roosters? I was imagining lots of little cages at the time. Now I certainly HOPE not.

trish

Quote:
Wow I love that idea... I keep mine inside at night because of the amount of predators (it's only two) ....the least of which are the coyotes who have absolutely no fear of me....and I was always afraid I'd sleep through any intrusions. besides I like the way gracie climbs onto my chest in the morning to sleep.....she loves the down comforter....I can see her mind calculating how nice it would be to sit on the eggs in that arctic down. Ese never crowed before 6:30-7....until the babies came...now it's before 5.... but he has different crows....my favorite is "even though i'm an ass I can crow with a cute ohhohh at the end"....

dont want anyone to think i have game chickens. All are bantams except 4 grown delewares 1roo 3hens
the bantams are mostly trios in pens 3ft by 8ft with small house for each pen. I can guarantee more than one crows at a time
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom