Why do so many of you (us) want roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pattee, Jun 8, 2008.

1. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I personally don't want a rooster. As my neighbors my kill me and him. But some of you get roosters and as so happy! Which is cool... I know there's the other side of the coin some people will sell or give their roosters away.

But my question is so you want roosters for protection of the flock? Meat? MORE chick????
    [​IMG]

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Some will make fertile eggs for more chicks and sales of hatching eggs. Plus, I love to hear them crow. If we are ever overran with roos we may eat some or sale them to someone else who wants a rooster.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008
  3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    As I understand, having 1 with a bunch of biddies can help keep the peace. A rooster tends to run over & break up fights between them.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I wanted a Rooster totally for the protection of the flock and because we loved to hear him crow.

Our first Roo was great with his girls... he kept them in sight and would run like a banshee to them when he heard one of them hollar about something. He also loved to find special treats in the dirt and call them over and then watch his girls enjoy the treat he found.

Many people are trying to keep breeds pure and will keep a pure Rooster with pure girls to have pure babies.

5. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    If I lived in the country, I would love to have roos! I'm a visual kinda person ~ roos are so HANDSOME and being protective while ruling the girls would help too. [​IMG]

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Because I can. [​IMG] I live on five acres in a very rural area, anything goes - pretty much!

Extras are food, and I can have fertile eggs to sell or hatch. [​IMG]

7. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:Same here. I think they are very handsome. My BO has a few and I love watching and hearing them. especially her little banties [​IMG]

8. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I just love 'em. They are so shiny and I adore saddle feathers, I think they're gorgeous. I love their crows and their antics with their ladies, they always make me laugh.

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Mine were the result of ordering too many straight run varieties from Murrary McMurray and ending up with 75% being roos. I was naive about it, but learned my lesson. We are thinning ours out, seeing which one has all the qualities we would like in a rooster (a protector, not too aggressive, handsome, cool crow, possible breeder). The extras are meat. We have 5 left to choose from. We keep calling it Rooster Survivor [​IMG]

10. TT

TT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Florida
    Roosters are beautiful to me so I love them (my kitchen is overrun in rooster stuff). As for the extras they will be used for meat.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by