Why do so many of you (us) want roosters?

Well, before we got our accidental rooster, we were adamant that we DIDN'T want one. Didn't want the early morning noise, didn't want the extra mouth to feed that wasn't producing eggs, didn't want the risk of aggressive behavior.

But now that we have Huey, we're enjoying him! His crowing is bothering us much less than we thought it would, he's quite beautiful and entertaining, and he does seem to do a good job of taking care of the girls, so far.

He's still young, so if he gets aggressive, he'll have to go, but we're actually hoping he'll stay nice so that we can keep him!

Quote:
My rooster protects his harem to the best of his ability. My cat makes a few token runs at whatever hen is separated from the pack. Sue (yes, we have a rooster named Sue!) will tolerate it a little, then he comes after that cat with his little rooster dance and shuffle!! If I try to do anything to the hens and they start squawking, he starts that at ME!
ep.gif
Then I loft him a couple of times with my foot or a stick and he remembers who buys the chicken food around here. He promptly
leaves the henhouse and minds his own business! He's a good rooster and I wouldn't trade him. Sweet enough to keep, strong enough to gain respect...that's our A Boy Named Sue!

My son and I LOVE roosters. We would only have roosters if we didn't like eggs and chicks too. If they got along better we would have more. We love the colors they are, how they carry them selves and all the strutting they do. We love roosters!!

I have them to fertilize the eggs so i can sell or trade. and the crowing is alright unless it's 3 in moring when i head to work.

Back
Top Bottom