Why do so many of you (us) want roosters?

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png
Those birds are Delawares.

Quote:
LOL, do it! Before we moved out to the country, hubby and I kept our chickens at work (our workplace was on 1 acre of land -- much bigger than our backyard at home). Eventually, someone reported us for having farm animals on commercial land, and hubby had to go face off against the county's zoning officials. You know what he told them? "Guard dogs are allowed on commercial property, right? Well, these are guard chickens!"

Yeeeeeahhh..... it didn't go over so well. Hence our move to the country.
big_smile.png

To make more baby chicks!
lol.png
I didn't want them before because of the noise, but I've become used to the crowing now. But I live out in the boonies... if I was in the "big city" I wouldn't be allowed to have them, so I'm not complaining.

I Love Roosters, There More colorfull, love the crow, produce baby chicks for hatching and selling, and How he (thinks) hes a big shot,lol.
I live where it was ok to have chickens, and my neighbors dont mind the crowing, but even if they didnt, Id still have them, I think a flock is supposed to have a Rooster in it, plus my breeding pairs and trio's!!!!

I love their personality. Hens are wonderful because they're sweet, but to me roosters are wonderful because they're fiesty! They can be a bit of an extra challenge, keeping them tame and respectful...I enjoy working with more diffiicult animals.

I love them so much I'm making a Rooster Haven for my SLW packing peanuts. I also have 2 roosters in my oldest batch of chickens, 2 in my younger batch, and 1 who may turn out to be a house pet. I'm going to attempt a clean integration, but we shall see. I may be making several bachelor pads in the future.
lol.png

Quote:
Talk to the neighbors. We live in a small subdivision. One family NEVER opens their windows so they don't care of we have a roo, the other 2 close neighbors LOVE to hear one crow. Reminds them of their childhoods.

Dh was stunned to know they all like the roo!!

I love my roos, and have even managed not to kill the evil one that was incorrigable attacking ME. Not the dogs, not anything that truly was a threat. I put him in his own place with his own hen...the RIR roosters are great, no attacks on humans!

How do you mean "protect" I really haven't seen them protect except to attac humans (me) as I am sure they think I am a big rooster after their hens. They let my German Shepherds do anything they want! Unless you mean that predators tend to go for them first as they are loud and attract attention when a predator comes in (back in the early days of my chickening, if a dog came in it got the roosters first, sometimes not the hens at all, but I did not see how this happened...),I wonder if in the same way they echo a hen cackling that she has laid an egg to distract? Seems like an egg (or hen) seeker will be confused.

Roos would have more friends if only they didn't crow at 3 am sometimes, actually, often. My new to the country son in law has an unfortunate dislike of chickens due to some long nights when he moved to a farm with game roos crowing from the trees near his window, I'm sorry to say. No chickens for them! Now he has a baby that crows at 3am!

The crowing doesn't bother me a bit or wake me...but if something is riling up the chickens, I wake right up! Hens can be quite loud too, but more during the day than the night.

Back
Top Bottom