1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do some chicks' beaks look trimmed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peppermint, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

I see in some people's chick pics that the beaks look like the tip has been snipped off. Why is that? Just curious...

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Are you talking about the egg tooth?

[​IMG]
    The egg tooth is a small, pointed projection on the top of the beak, near the very tip. It is made of the same hard material as the beak.

The egg tooth appears on the baby bird's beak about Day 7 in its development inside the egg. When the bird is ready to hatch, the egg tooth is like a little can opener. The chicks will pip the shell (make a little hole), and chip away at the shell as it moves around the shell.

After the chick hatches, the egg tooth only lasts a couple of weeks before it falls off or is reabsorbed.​

3. Peppermint

Not quite. The pics I'm talking about literally look like a snip of beak has been taken off.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Some people trim their chicks' beaks to prevent feather picking.

5. Peppermint

How long does it take for the beaks to grow back fully?

6. grace6691

grace6691 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    GA
    I think that they'll grow back a little bit but not fully. It depends how much is taken off. Debeaking is usually done to commercial laying hens to keep them from cannibalism because they are in such small cages with each other.

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    It's also done frequently with game birds such as pheasants. Google debeaking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by