Why do some folks claim chickens don't think???

Does this answers your question? I caught her on BYC, Again!
lol.png

34651_picture_156891.jpg

Quote:
And what's that bottle on the left????
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png

She took a sip from the rim of a can one day.Then started going nuts trying to get more. You should of seen her circling the can, trying to get her whole head in it.
lol.png
Don't worry I cut her off,& took her keys.........(Disclaimer) PeepsInc does not recommend allowing your farm animals to use the PC while drinking. You may find your paypal account empty & all kinds of stuff will start showing up in the mail from TSP.com ...............Who else would of ordered 50 pair of rooster socks?

i think chickns can learn simple things, my chickens know that when i come the get food and something yummy to eat, so they come running/flying and stay all under my feet till they get something. on the other hand they know my father in law but he dont feed them and dont spend time with them, so when he comes the run away from him.

But i also think that chickens cant think things for themselves and figure out thing. for example, 3 times the same chicken flew out of the coop, i watched her for a minute and i saw she had no idea how she got out, and no idea how to go back in. she would stand by the chicken wire and look inside, but she didnt try flying back in, just kinda packed on the wire trying to just get in.

you can train any animal to do something in order to get food.. like they trained rats to push a button if they want food, on a psychology study. but not any animal can figure out things. in a different study they put a monkey in a cage with 2 different size sticks and trew a banana outside. first the monkey tried to get it with his hand, it was too far. and then he figured out he can use one of the sticks and thats what he did.

You can tell when Rooster's thinking because of the burning smell and the smoke coming out his ears.

Yeah... he ain't too bright.

They "think" in the sense that they're aware and able to choose to react in certain ways, of that I have no doubt; I've seem them react in ways that seem non-instinctual too often. I'm pretty sure they don't contemplate the meaning of the universe, though, and I suspect they're happier for not doing so.

I have only two hens. The bigger and older, Henrietta always thinks that whatever Laura is eating must be better than what she has under her beak, so H chases L away. L runs directly to what H was eating - she has learned that something must be there. After half a minute H thinks what Laura is having must be better than hers, so H chases L away again, and so on

I think they are clever and stupid at the same time.
hmm.png

My son has a sebright hen housechicken in his bedroom. She will walk through the house yelling at him if she doesn't see him. If he leaves the room and the tv is on a show she doesn't like she will vocalize her displeasure and I have to go in and change the channel. yes she is spoiled.

once outside there was a strange noise in the woods and my ameraucana roo scanned the run for his girls and then looked at my husband and made some soft clucking noises. hubby replied with "don't worry jack, I'll check it out" roo replied with more clucks and went and had a snack. he seemed to understand that there was no threat with hubby out there. Jack used to talk to me all the time like that. I have no doubt he could and did think.

My boyfriend used to work on a chicken farm and he always says chickens are stupid. I have 4 hens and it has taken two weeks for them to relize that they have to go to bed when it is dark. I normally lift them into bed, last night to my surprize they where in bed when I went out to them. They are just slow learners, but must beable to think if they can learn......eventually
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom