Why do some people get mad over having a broody?

M To The Maxx

Baseball+Girls=Life
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Lutz,FL
I have seen some posts that people say that they have a broody that they do not want. Why do you not want a broody sometimes? She stops egg production to sit on the eggs? You do not want to hatch anymore chicks right now? I would like your opinions. Thanks for any help!!!
frow.gif

Last edited:
I'm guessing cuz they want eggs? I have a couple hens that go broody. Years ago I used to think that they would sit forever and die of starvation. But, nothing ever worked on breaking the broodiness for me, so I just let them set now, and they don't starve and die. They get up after a few months, run around, lay eggs for awhile, then go back to broody again. I just let them be. In the past I've given them fertile eggs, or a couple times, I swapped the eggs for store bought chicks, that worked sometimes, other times not.

We got rid of a hen that was always going broody. Not only was she not laying, but she'd sit in the nest box (happened to be the one all the other hens used) and would keep the other eggs at a high temp. What's worse is she would growl and peck at us when we tried to get the eggs.

Definitely not worth the hassle it if you aren't planning on having them hatch any eggs.

big_smile.png
I don't want more baby chicks, and I have let my broody girls hatch out a few, but I just don't have the room for many more. I hate seeing them sit for days and weeks on nothing but a golf ball.

LOL, yes, there are those of us sillies cluttering up the place who still think they will ALWAYS want a hen to go broody because we haven't experienced what an annoyance it can be. I'll try to remember how eager I was for it to happen when I get to the "Oh, no, not again" stage.

In my case, because I can only speak for myself, I have 3 bantams that are broody. Two are trying to hatch pine shavings, and one is trying to hatch a 2x4. There are several reasons I don't want chicks. The first reason is 2 of the broody gals are frizzled. The rooster is frizzled. I can't let them hatch a double frizzle.
Secondly, it is getting to be winter- probably not a good time for babies to be running around, unless they can be kept warm. Which brings me to reason number 3 - I don't have a nice warm, safe place to keep a broody and her babies.
I'm not mad at them. I feel bad for them, as they are so determined. But I am also concerned about their health. I want to see them eating and drinking normal.

My point of view
I Think, don't know, but think many people don't want broody hens for many reasons. Some places are not as blessed as my area where roosters are not allowed and only X number of chickens can be kept, the hens tend to be more aggressive and could attack, people want eggs to eat not chicks, people who know their limit and can not support or don't want any more chickens, the hen says broody and thin and won't break even if there are no eggs left.
I have had to break up hen many times over do to infertile eggs, did not want (easy to do to eggs and not hatched chicks), Bad eggs and the hen would not stop, and did not want my sexlinks to be broody. I have no intent to get rid of any broody hen they are just doing what is natural. But I have found that is you separate her from all nesting and make sure she has plenty of food and Fresh water everyday she will normaly break. If not after about 3 days give her part of a tylenol (not a large dose). This can be given the first day to speed up the breaking. Might sound crazy but her body basically runs a fever when broody and the tylenol (can be off brand) is a fever reducer.
Hope this helps you understand more.
frow.gif

hi there. I'm a newbie, haven't had one go broody yet. I only have 5 hens, no rooster, as I'm in a subdivision and only have (so far) a little tractor. I'd feel pretty bad for the poor girl in our current situation. No roo, No room. If I get my way with the new coop and one goes broody, I hope to get a few fertile eggs from someone local and see what happens. We eat all their eggs and sometimes (don't tell DH) have to buy eggs.

Back
Top Bottom