Why do they love Styrofoam???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MaineChick, Jan 15, 2010.

1. MaineChick

MaineChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    It's not really Styrofoam, it's the blue sheets of insulation around the bottom of the trailer we live in. The chickens will *not* stop pecking at it! It adds nothing to the decor of the front to have a ladder lying up against the place to keep the little monsters from getting at it. The damage you see in the pic occurred in about a half hour one day when they first discovered the stuff. And it can't be good for them. How concerned should I be about them eating it?

Suggestions to keep them off it when the weather breaks? They are not in a run, they leave the coop and can go anywhere they like.

[​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    They LOVE styrofoam peanuts too.....

If they can find it they will!!

They only thing I can suggest it to cover it up!! They won't stop!! You might try covering it up with some thin plywood and then putting up lattice over it!!

Hope you get it figured out!!

Missi

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I know what you mean i've got it in the ceiling, they found a shelf and picked holes in it, now everyone is locked up so they stop. everyone thats pick it has been ok but how to get them to stop [​IMG]

4. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    Maybe they think the foam will help to insulate themselves from the cold.[​IMG]

5. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Quote:hahahah [​IMG] the chickens at my work prefer styrofoam peices in the walls to the organic salad we grow..... [​IMG]

6. MaineChick

MaineChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    LOL! And maybe it does insulate them, who knows?

They are such bad, bad little chickens. They live in the Ritz of a coop we built them, have a heat lamp for cold nights, get good quality layer pellets and all the treats a chicken could ever want and can range 75 acres for whatever else they might feel they'd need - and the little stinkers come out and attack styrofoam! They even got a Florida room with a window-covered run up to it.

[​IMG]

Chickens are such ingrates. Good thing they're so cute.

Thanks for the input, I guess I'll have to cover the styrofoam up or replace it with something less appealing this spring.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  7. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    OMG! My chickens and all my poultry try to eat ANY styrofoam anywhere!!! Maybe they think its a styrofoam incubator and they are gonna be overtaken by a group of newbies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you feed them enough styrofoam, they will start to lay their eggs already in the cartons

[​IMG]

9. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    Very good!!![​IMG]

-Wonder if their eggs will float?

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Oh, I DO know what you mean! When I winterize the house, I always put those styrofoam "cups" around each of the outside faucets, to protect against pipes freezing. This year, the "cup" was only out there a few days before it was completely destroyed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by