Why do they love Styrofoam???

MaineChick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
It's not really Styrofoam, it's the blue sheets of insulation around the bottom of the trailer we live in. The chickens will *not* stop pecking at it! It adds nothing to the decor of the front to have a ladder lying up against the place to keep the little monsters from getting at it. The damage you see in the pic occurred in about a half hour one day when they first discovered the stuff. And it can't be good for them. How concerned should I be about them eating it?

Suggestions to keep them off it when the weather breaks? They are not in a run, they leave the coop and can go anywhere they like.

19259_img_5806.jpg

They LOVE styrofoam peanuts too.....

If they can find it they will!!

They only thing I can suggest it to cover it up!! They won't stop!! You might try covering it up with some thin plywood and then putting up lattice over it!!

Hope you get it figured out!!

Missi

I know what you mean i've got it in the ceiling, they found a shelf and picked holes in it, now everyone is locked up so they stop. everyone thats pick it has been ok but how to get them to stop
idunno.gif

Quote:
hahahah
yuckyuck.gif
the chickens at my work prefer styrofoam peices in the walls to the organic salad we grow.....
ep.gif

LOL! And maybe it does insulate them, who knows?

They are such bad, bad little chickens. They live in the Ritz of a coop we built them, have a heat lamp for cold nights, get good quality layer pellets and all the treats a chicken could ever want and can range 75 acres for whatever else they might feel they'd need - and the little stinkers come out and attack styrofoam! They even got a Florida room with a window-covered run up to it.

19259_img_6006.jpg

Chickens are such ingrates. Good thing they're so cute.

Thanks for the input, I guess I'll have to cover the styrofoam up or replace it with something less appealing this spring.

Last edited:
OMG! My chickens and all my poultry try to eat ANY styrofoam anywhere!!! Maybe they think its a styrofoam incubator and they are gonna be overtaken by a group of newbies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I DO know what you mean! When I winterize the house, I always put those styrofoam "cups" around each of the outside faucets, to protect against pipes freezing. This year, the "cup" was only out there a few days before it was completely destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom