Why do you allow members to...

If someone is pestering you, can't you block them? :rant:smack Or is that not a thing here?
I know the actuall host (xeno i believe) provides the option, but it would be up to the administrators of the forum if it was activated. I don't know if it is here or not, but I've done admin/staff work on forums that use the same host. When used though, the person does no just, disappear. You can still tell if they've posted indicated by a "show hidden post" message on every page they are on and they can still post on "your" threads. It makes following heavily involved conversations a bit of a pita.

I know the actuall host (xeno i believe) provides the option, but it would be up to the administrators of the forum if it was activated. I don't know if it is here or not, but I've done admin/staff work on forums that use the same host. When used though, the person does no just, disappear. You can still tell if they've posted indicated by a "show hidden post" message on every page they are on and they can still post on "your" threads. It makes following heavily involved conversations a bit of a pita.
It is implemented here.

If someone is pestering you, can't you block them? :rant:smack Or is that not a thing here?
You can block people, but they can still access your profile.

Hmmmm Well, I don’t even know if mine is set to “private” or not, and don’t care one way or the other. But I will say that the number of times I look at my profile can be counted on one hand....I always forget that it’s there and sometimes long periods go by between the time somebody posts there and the time I finally notice it. That’s why to me a private conversation makes more sense - it’s a little hard to miss that bright red inbox notification.

So I guess if there’s anything anyone wants to know about me they can ask. If I think I can comfortably answer, I usually will. But if I don’t think it’s any of the person’s business, I have no problem saying that, too. :oops:

It's called the "Ignore" feature, and it's enabled by default, but it will just hide the posts and conversations from the ignored member, just ignoring a member won't keep them from viewing your profile. It won't show the ignored member that they are ignored.
Also, XenForo isn't the host, it's the forum software. We use XF on a dedicated server.

Also, XenForo isn't the host, it's the forum software. We use XF on a dedicated server.
Thanks for the clarification of the host/server vs software. Slip of words on my part. :highfive:
Having a dedicated server is pretty nice. It's obviously being maintained very well, this place runs pretty smoothly. :caf

It's called the "Ignore" feature, and it's enabled by default, but it will just hide the posts and conversations from the ignored member, just ignoring a member won't keep them from viewing your profile. It won't show the ignored member that they are ignored
Personally I'm not a fan of using it. I often found myself taking people off ignore, or choosing to show the content anyways as it often contained relevant information for what I was doing. The only user experience that was changed, was my own, and at that I felt that it made it less substantial.

Off to the Quack Shack I go, have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom