Why do you have chickens???

For the entertainment and eggs.

In this photo I'm being held hostage by 'Askew'. It was a cold day and she wanted a foot warmer.

I have always wanted chickens...just never the right time. Well, I am getting older and decided if ever there was going to be the right time, it was now. I got 6 Golden Comets last April and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I love collecting their eggs, but love them much more as pets. They are my therapy at the end of the day. I love sitting in my chair and three of my girls take turns jumping in my lap...sometimes all three at one time. They take my mind off of everything else and I feel a sense of calm and peace when I'm with them.

We got our hens for the eggs, started with 13 nuggets. We were over run with eggs when they started laying. So my Great Niece needed a Senior community service time project for school. As we were overloaded with eggs she would find families that needed help stretching the groceries or help before payday, we gave them eggs for free. She is keeping track of the number of families and people she has helped by giving them eggs, I have lost track. We make our egg runs on Fridays after school, sometimes over 3 dozen eggs for the week.

Because of treatment for worms in December and they slowed down on laying we can only do a couple dozen a week. She is a very kind hearted kid and is happy helping people that really need the help but unable to get other assistance. Some of them have come by to buy eggs when we have extras and want to know when the girls are back to laying regular again. We didn't expect people liking our eggs so much better than store eggs or being grateful for getting a dozen eggs to eat. Good egg karma.

Grasshopper eaters. Trying to keep grasshoppers out of the garden using a natural method. Fertilizer too. And, of course, they make good companions for while I am gardening!

I have always been obsessed with birds of all kind! And when parrots and quail were not enough, the only logical thing to turn to was chickens! The have so much to offer, they keep me in good shape, gives me more of a reason to spend more time outside and I could never be without them now. Love my babies!

Back
Top Bottom