WHY do you have geese?

Quote:
I don't think they lay all year round.. xP Should have gotten chickens?

I have chickens too...lol They haven't laid at ALL yet. I was told from the person I got them from (And one other person that has some of the same) they they laid from May-Sept and then were done for that summer. They are a year old and nuttin yet... if they don't lay by winter, they won't be wintering over.

I thought they stopped laying in May? I know my mamagoose isn't acting broody anymore, but I may be mistaken. Are you sure they're not ganders?
It'd be a shame to see them cooked.. geese are intelligent animals and live a long time. They have other uses- I'd keep them to alert to predators or strangers in the yard. P:

Quote:
I have chickens too...lol They haven't laid at ALL yet. I was told from the person I got them from (And one other person that has some of the same) they they laid from May-Sept and then were done for that summer. They are a year old and nuttin yet... if they don't lay by winter, they won't be wintering over.

I thought they stopped laying in May? I know my mamagoose isn't acting broody anymore, but I may be mistaken. Are you sure they're not ganders?
It'd be a shame to see them cooked.. geese are intelligent animals and live a long time. They have other uses- I'd keep them to alert to predators or strangers in the yard. P:

Don't know yet if they are male or female. They are a Toulouse/African cross and the other people that have them said theirs are laying NOW thru Sept or so.

I have nine dogs, don't need anything anymore alert than they are...LOL

ALL farm critters are pretty, intelligent, friendly or something, doesn't mean we don't eat them too. I was told they were 2 girls and a boy and that was ok with me. If they are all boys, I can't afford to feed something that doesn't feed me.

Quote:

Don't know yet if they are male or female. They are a Toulouse/African cross and the other people that have them said theirs are laying NOW thru Sept or so.

I have nine dogs, don't need anything anymore alert than they are...LOL

ALL farm critters are pretty, intelligent, friendly or something, doesn't mean we don't eat them too. I was told they were 2 girls and a boy and that was ok with me. If they are all boys, I can't afford to feed something that doesn't feed me.

True enough.

I am seeing a pattern here..... I too already have 3 dogs and Turkeys who are great alarms.
Are Sebastopol geese good to eat? LOL not that I could.....

Last edited:
I have had lots of ducks and a few geese in the past. I was down to just three of my favorite ducks this last spring. While on vacation my daughter left the door open and my dogs including a neo mastiff puppy ran loose with the poultry all day long. It seems he played with the ducks. Then he tried to bury them. He is normally not outside with out me. This got me on my waterfowl kick all over again. I thought geese would make a good alarm. I have had guinea but they harassed my turkeys. I sell poulty to help pay the feed bill. I keep them because I have always had poultry since I was 4 years old. I love just sitting and watching them in the evening. Its how I relax. I have always had lots of animals. I am very compulsive. I don't do much of anything small. Its like potato chips. Ya can't just have one. I wanted geese at the front back and side yard to let me know if any intruders are comming. I hear stupid dogs bark all night. I have kennels on two sides of me and a big long open field full of peditors for miles. I get up and look and there is nothing. My hopes is the geese might tell me better than the neighbors stupid dogs.

Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there. When my nine dogs bark at something, there IS something there, even tho I may have to HUNT to see what it is, and oftentimes it's something non-threatening, but there nonetheless. On the other hand, I've heard my geese going bonkers and see NOTHING...

Why do I have geese? Cause I am a sucker and wanted to help a friend of a friend who could not find a bird sitter for her geese, she was going on vacation for two weeks.
wink.png

What kind of geese I asked - emdens I was told. And the girls are very friendly - like to sit in your lap.
lau.gif
Ok I said, I will watch them - bring them to my house and we can put them in my extra pen.

Lady brought 4 geese and food for two weeks. Geese were not emdens - Chinese, girls not friendly but ganders are.

Lady did not return from vacation, did not collect her geese. Lady did relocate to the state she vacationed in.

barnie.gif
DH says the lady moved away from her geese.

Now I have geese.

Back
Top Bottom