Why do you keep bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happymorrows, Jan 6, 2011.

1. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    So, I know that bantams are adorable, and take up less space, but other than that, is there another purpose for keeping bantams? Just curious.

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Take up less space, eat less food, most bantams have better personalities, easier to cuddle, miniature is cute.. shall I go on?? Just kidding.. Those are some of my reasons. Plus, I just like them!!

3. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I think they are the most vocal, interesting creatures on this planet. Not a day goes by that mine make me smile with their fiesty attitudes like they really think " I'm just as big as you are!" They are great mamas also!

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    All the reasons listed above. I know what you mean though and have decided to only breed LF from now on.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

When I came up to pick up chicks from you last spring, remember those little bitty chicks I had in a box? They grew into beautiful Silver Sebright bantams. (and one bantam Cochin) Sebrights are the only true bantams. Little Dude, my little roo was so full of personality! He would crow so hard he would nearly fall over backwards. He took very good care of his girls, actually all of the girls as he was raised with the ones that I picked up from you. They layed rather large eggs for such small birds. I gave them to Talanai who lives up in Bryson City when I was diagnosed. I'm hoping to get a few chicks off her this coming spring.

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well for one you can fit more in a bucket
    [​IMG]

Like listed above they make good mamas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plus their just so cute!

7. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:Sebrights are so pretty! I hope you do get a few this spring!

I want to make sure everyone knows I wasn't belittling (no pun intended) bantams. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a big secret about them.

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    chicken math really... 2 or 3 bantams = 1 large fowl.... more chickens.. [​IMG]

9. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I was wondering what you all do with culls that won't sell. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of meat on their little bones. What about all those extra cockerels? [​IMG]

10. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Less bird to wash for a show and definitely smaller poo to step in. [​IMG] You can have them in much smaller places, meaning those that live on limited land can still enjoy chickens too! [​IMG] Personally I prefer my bantams to my LF, they just have a more even temperament and much more fun to cuddle. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by