Why Do You Use Deep Bedding/Why Do You NOT Use Deep Bedding?

Pics
I'm putting together an article on using Deep Bedding in a small coop and wanted to make sure I had as complete a list of pros and cons as possible.

I know why I DO use this method and I can think of some reasons others might not want to use it, but I'd like to hear the voices of community experience in order to create a useful article.

Deep Bedding being defined as: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more.
I'm putting together an article on using Deep Bedding in a small coop and wanted to make sure I had as complete a list of pros and cons as possible.

I know why I DO use this method and I can think of some reasons others might not want to use it, but I'd like to hear the voices of community experience in order to create a useful article.

Deep Bedding being defined as: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more.
I would clean my coop once every other week when I was starting off as a newby. I am still somewhat of a newby and know a lot about raising my chickens, because of BYC. My chicken are extremely healthy and very tolerent of the weather. They started laying eggs in the winter and they dont mind the cold, or rain. I havent clean my coop out sinse winter, but I would throw some shaving in there and in the buckets and boxes, however they kick the shaving out and lay eggs anyway. I would say, I have a shallow bed and my chickens are still healthy. I just think, that too much bedding attracts bugs like lice. I also would put vitamin in there drinking water, I think that helps too.

Attachments

• 20200812_150418.jpg
    20200812_150418.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 4
I use deep litter in my 10x12 layer barn which houses 25 birds. To me it is a no brainer. I totally clean my coops 2x a year, in fall and in spring. All the shavings go into my compost pile. When I add all the fluffy new pine shavings, I also add leaf litter, small sticks, wood chips from my wood splitting area, grass and shrub clippings, and any other organic debris I find around. My thinking is this keeps the girls scratching a bit for green goodies and also promotes composting when the bedding eventually makes it to the compost pile.
I will often throw treats under the roost bars when the poop is piling up to get the chickens to turn that area thoroughly for me. Some people think that is gross but the chickens don't seem to mind so I call it smart! As needed, which varies based on weather (wetness, amount of time spent inside coop etc.), I will add a whole new bag of shavings to the 10x12 coop. This occurs approximately every 1.5 months. I just throw it on top, add treats, and the chickens do the rest.

I LOVE the deep litter method. My chicken chores daily, with my automatic door and large capacity feeders and waterer, consist of collecting eggs and enjoying my girls. None of my daily chores involve poop. This gives me more time to just enjoy my birds. This has been my first winter with deep litter where my birds are inside a majority of the time. I was worried about cleanliness. But other than slightly dirtier feet, the smell of the coop and the cleanliness of eggs has not been effected. Everyone is happy and healthy.
I like the way you think! I was cleaning ours weekly 4x6 coop. I broke my collarbone the end of December in a car accident haven't been able to clean it since, but I do believe I'm going to end up going to that deep litter method. thanks

I have a dirt floor with wood chips, so I guess that’s deep litter.
The dirt floor certainly helps with the deep litter method, but it does not on its own mean you have the deep litter method going. DLM is when the substrate is moist and is actively composting. If your substrate is dry, it doesn't matter that the floor is dirt - you won't get the composting action and it won't be DLM, it will be deep bedding with a dirt floor.

The dirt floor certainly helps with the deep litter method, but it does not on its own mean you have the deep litter method going. DLM is when the substrate is moist and is actively composting. If your substrate is dry, it doesn't matter that the floor is dirt - you won't get the composting action and it won't be DLM, it will be deep bedding with a dirt floor.
My coop is open so it’s exposed somewhat to rain, etc. Even if moisture isn’t directly hitting parts of the coop ground, the ground is wet. However, my climate is mostly dry overall. I suppose it depends on the time of year. The ground holds more moisture around this time of year, but summer and fall are completely dry. It’s so dry, I add moisture to it.
I guess I’m not sure what to call it.

My coop is open so it’s exposed somewhat to rain, etc. Even if moisture isn’t directly hitting parts of the coop ground, the ground is wet. However, my climate is mostly dry overall. I suppose it depends on the time of year. The ground holds more moisture around this time of year, but summer and fall are completely dry. It’s so dry, I add moisture to it.
I guess I’m not sure what to call it.
It's a delicate process... you have to have the right conditions. Maybe at some times you do, and it composts, but at other times it gets too dry and stops... You can call it a hybrid method :D

Back
Top Bottom