Why Do You Use Deep Bedding/Why Do You NOT Use Deep Bedding?

How do you keep the waterer from getting wood shavings kicked up into it by the chickens with the deep litter method? I don’t use the hanging waterers because I’m in a cold climate. My metal one is on a cement block, now also up on the heater, but they still get stuff in it, even with only a fresh thin layer of shavings weekly.

How do you keep the waterer from getting wood shavings kicked up into it by the chickens with the deep litter method? I don’t use the hanging waterers because I’m in a cold climate. My metal one is on a cement block, now also up on the heater, but they still get stuff in it, even with only a fresh thin layer of shavings weekly.

I don't keep water in my coop.

Also, I use a horizontal nipple waterer. Mine isn't heated, but they can be and work quite effectively. :)

I'm putting together an article on using Deep Bedding in a small coop and wanted to make sure I had as complete a list of pros and cons as possible.

I know why I DO use this method and I can think of some reasons others might not want to use it, but I'd like to hear the voices of community experience in order to create a useful article.

Deep Bedding being defined as: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add

I'm putting together an article on using Deep Bedding in a small coop and wanted to make sure I had as complete a list of pros and cons as possible.

I know why I DO use this method and I can think of some reasons others might not want to use it, but I'd like to hear the voices of community experience in order to create a useful article.

Deep Bedding being defined as: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more.
I have been using the Deep Litter Method and it seems to help Keep the coop drier ,the chickens go out to their runs every day ( we live in Crete ILL ) so we are currently sporting 2 feet of Snow and the runs sides are covered with 6 mil plastic ( to stop wind) so we get a lot of freezing and thawing and the Chickens dry off in the coop and run around the puddles looking for treats, when it was Zero outside the coops were 18 deg F. I use pine shavings and have added a bag the first week of Month starting in Nov, so I have 4 bags each in two coops and all is looking well ,Also some of the hens are digging trenches and they use it as a dust bath ( i put Food Grade DE ) into coop to keep bugs down and it is good for the Chickens if eaten . So thumbs up for the deep litter method.

Deep Bedding being defined as: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more.
I like deep bedding, much cleaner and warmer on the feet for the chickens, I also spread some alfalfa on the floor for the hen that love greenery!

I use something loosely based on the deep litter method, I clean their poop everyday and put it in a separate bag, I then put clean shavings and diatomaceous earth in its place.

I just added some more pine chips today. Along w/DE sprinkled on top.

I will add more in a month or so. Most of the 17 birds will stay inside on those bitter cold and windy days. Back about a month ago I was in the coop and could smell the ammonia from urine. I cleaned it out. Put down new chips and DE. I will be glad when spring gets here and greens up. My birds love ranging. So do I, less feed and cleaning the coop. My coop is 8x10.

I do use deep bedding. Dirt. I live on a lava field. We don't have ANY dirt anywhere. When it rains a lot gets washed away it's just the way of where I live. I buy the cheap bags of dirt from Walmart and add 2-3 every other week or if we have a big storm (often). I do it every week. My coop because of where I live is somewhat self cleaning. I add DE once a month for mites although it's not a huge thing here. My birds are jungle fowl and very robust. The birds move everything around on their own. Leading into the egg house it is all baseball size lava rock. Then pine or aspen bedding. We built them a beautiful raised egg laying area with laying boxes. They decided to lay in the very back corner under all of that. So we had to add another door to access the eggs. They have laid in the egg boxes twice - 2 eggs. LOL

The deep bedding is fantastic for our setting. I also think it's a great way to go for a lot of applications if the coop is set up correctly and you are constantly adding material.

Aloha!

Back
Top Bottom