Why Do You Use Deep Bedding/Why Do You NOT Use Deep Bedding?

My 4x8 coop has deep bedding because I haven't taken any of it out yet. Other than what I pick up as I scoop up the poop, which is daily, it's all still there. It's 4-6" deep, and is plenty soft for gentle landings when the birds (standard sized) jump down from the roost. No bumblefoot!

Unless someone has just dropped a cecal poop, there is no smell at all. Especially now that the poop freezes in short order, but even last summer, it didn't smell. Hubby was impressed.

So far, I've put in two bales of pine shavings and a bale of hemp since I moved the chickens into the coop last May. I will probably take about half of it out in the spring, and add another bale of hemp. The reason I'll take some out is to use it on the garden or in the compost.

Yep, dry...but I use poop boards, which makes the pine shavings on floor last even longer.

Trying to use the term 'deep bedding' without someone calling it 'deep litter' will be tough.
I like your description on first post, might also define deep litter to show the difference....not that all will register the diff.

Yep, dry...but I use poop boards, which makes the pine shavings on floor last even longer.

Trying to use the term 'deep bedding' without someone calling it 'deep litter' will be tough.
I like your description on first post, might also define deep litter to show the difference....not that all will register the diff.
I didn't. Hence the edit.

I am imperfect

Is there a particular reason that you don't fill up with bedding between cleanings? Something for my "cons" list?

yeah. Young Teen child. Teen is generally responsible for turning bedding and cleaning out coop (teen uses half-face respirator with filters). I help when it is a big clean out/spray insecticide. But, if bedding only requires 1-2 wheelbarrow loads (we have a big wheelbarrow) to get it to the compost bin, there is a higher chance of good clean out. If teen child sees a mountain of poop laden shavings, teen will avoid the work and will be much less likely to turn bedding or to remove it all. We did this once...frozen litter, so added on top a few times...come spring it was an ordeal, teen fibbed about task, etc... Amazing what kids will try to pass off as “completed”. So, by having a manageable amount of shavings, means there is a greater likelihood of task being completed. We still don’t clean out the coop “frequently” but more than 2x per year.

Back
Top Bottom