Why Do You Use Deep Bedding/Why Do You NOT Use Deep Bedding?

yeah. Young Teen child. Teen is generally responsible for turning bedding and cleaning out coop (teen uses half-face respirator with filters). I help when it is a big clean out/spray insecticide. But, if bedding only requires 1-2 wheelbarrow loads (we have a big wheelbarrow) to get it to the compost bin, there is a higher chance of good clean out. If teen child sees a mountain of poop laden shavings, teen will avoid the work and will be much less likely to turn bedding or to remove it all. We did this once...frozen litter, so added on top a few times...come spring it was an ordeal, teen fibbed about task, etc... Amazing what kids will try to pass off as “completed”. So, by having a manageable amount of shavings, means there is a greater likelihood of task being completed. We still don’t clean out the coop “frequently” but more than 2x per year.
My young teen children see their workload quadruple instantly if they try to half heartedly do anything.

That's a good idea.

I personally don't want the work of having to deal with poop boards regularly. I am, however, going to focus on small coops where there isn't really room for poop boards anyway.

Yes, I've tried just straw in the coop based on old-timers' recommendations and found that it matted horribly. But a mix of straw and shavings stays fluffy better than either alone.

I have teens, but I do my own coop cleaning. Still that makes perfect sense.

May I ask, in all respect and in search of information rather than in an attempt to convince you to change your practices, what it is, exactly, that makes you want to clean so often? Distaste for the idea of manure building up? Sometime else?

I think that it can't really be called deep bedding if you're not actually using bedding in a systematic fashion. :)

I'm sorry, but you've got it backwards.

Deep bedding is a dry, non-composting system that can be done on any type of floor.

Deep litter is a moist, composting system that is best done on a dirt floor (but which *can* be done on other floors with sufficient intensive management). :)
It's just a me thing, I'm the same way with dog poop in my yard and my dogs are tiny and so are their turds, lol, and we have over an acre. Plus I can't stand the thought of my feather footed lady walking around in poo. My neighbor, who is quite a ways away teases that he's never seen a coop so clean, he has 20 chickens

I use the deep bedding method because I save bedding,

Thanks. As I said before, I really didn't consider the savings in bedding and that's a good point.

Reason for me is idleness and I like the automatic self sustaining nature of it - 'just add leaves and ignore'.
A secondary benefit is that it is nice and springy so probably good for their feet when they land. And as it is leaves there is always something interesting for them to find.

Sounds like you've got a great system with the coop uphill of the composting run.

My young teen children see their workload quadruple instantly if they try to half heartedly do anything.

My oldest two stopped complaining about loading the dishwasher when I made them wash dishes by hand for a week. Their story prevented the younger ones from every trying it.

It's just a me thing, I'm the same way with dog poop in my yard and my dogs are tiny and so are their turds, lol. Plus I can't stand the thought of my feather footed lady walking around in poo.

I'll include "distaste for the idea of manure" on the cons list. It's a legitimate personal preference.

so someone mentioned that deep litter is adding until you physically cant add any more?

also I'm curious if I'm doing deep bedding or deep litter...

dirt floor, pine straw, usually add more pine straw when the existing pine straw gets pushed to the back and compacted- the ground isnt level- revealing the dirt floor in places. there's some amount of moisture because rain can get in the back of the pen and a small amount in the front. most recently I've started adding fallen leaves because they're available instead of buying pine straw. the chickens spread it all for me which is great. I started just untying the straw bales and leaving them in a pile and theyd scratch them around for me, same with dumping in a wheel barrow of leaves. i checked on the pine straw recently and it seems to be breaking down not compacting into sheets.

so someone mentioned that deep litter is adding until you physically cant add any more?

also I'm curious if I'm doing deep bedding or deep litter...

Both Deep Litter and Deep Bedding involve long intervals between cleanings.

Deep Litter is a moist, composting system.

Deep Bedding is a dry, non-composting system.

(I get all my pine straw free for the raking on my property. I love the way the surface dries out in just a couple days no matter how soggy it was before).

Agree. the kid doesn't get off easy*, and as I remind teen: "I'm pretty consistent and predictable in my response, so why is it that you continue to do x as if my response will be different?" Yup, we are still in the "talking to wall" phase. My older one reached the age of reason, combined with the ability to alter their behavior in a mature way, a little older than this, so we have some time still to go with this one I expect.

* a very powerful statement is the following "If you do x poorly/badly/lazily/half-heartedly (etc), then that will result in my personal involvement, while telling you how to do x step by step MY way, from the beginning". HAHA - last thing teen wants is me standing there, in the coop saying "You missed a spot...over there...nope, a little to the left...yup keep going..." :gig:rant

When my goats and chickens were housed together, I (or rather the previous homeowner) used deep litter method. I live in the South. It gets really hot from June - October. The smell and flies were terrible....

I built a new coop for the chickens with a poured concrete floor. On top of the floor I mixed several inches of masonry sand and screenings. No more smell or flies. I clean it once a week with a bucket and metal kitty litter scoop. This is with 35+ birds. It was the best move I ever made.

The goats now have their shed to themselves. I still keep several inches of straw and shavings in there for them. With no chickens roosting in there at night, it stays MUCH cleaner for the goats too! I only need to clean it once a quarter now.

When my goats and chickens were housed together, I (or rather the previous homeowner) used deep litter method. I live in the South. It gets really hot from June - October. The smell and flies were terrible....

I built a new coop for the chickens with a poured concrete floor. On top of the floor I mixed several inches of masonry sand and screenings. No more smell or flies. I clean it once a week with a bucket and metal kitty litter scoop. This is with 35+ birds. It was the best move I ever made.

The goats now have their shed to themselves. I still keep several inches of straw and shavings in there for them. With no chickens roosting in there at night, it stays MUCH cleaner for the goats too! I only need to clean it once a quarter now.
Is that the best sand to use?

Back
Top Bottom